The Pepe Field site is located in Boontown, New Jersey. E.F. Drew Co. operated a landfill there from the 1920s until 1950. From 1950 until the mid-1960s, the site remained an open, unused area until the Town of Boonton purchased the property. During the mid-1960s, the town covered the site with soil in preparation for construction of a recreation facility. Because of the biological decay of waste material beneath the field, the area was subjected to strong hydrogen sulfide odors. In 1969, the town implemented an odor abatement plan for the site. The recreation field was closed for many years until cleanup and restoration work finished in November 2000. After cleanup, EPA took the site off the National Priorities List in July 2003.