The Rentokil, Inc. site located in Henrico County, Virginia is a 10-acre former wood treating plant. Wood treating operations started in 1957 and were terminated in 1990. Since 1982, the operation used only the chromated copper arsenate process to treat wood. In previous years, pentachlorophenol (PCP), creosote, chromated copper arsenate, chromated zinc arsenate, xylene, and fire retardants in a solution of ammonium phosphates and sulfates were also used. These processes also required the plant to use mineral spirits and fuel oil in the preserving mixtures. An open earthen pit was used for the discharge of waste processing fluids from 1957 to 1963. In 1963, the earthen pit was cleared, cleaned, and replaced with a concrete holding pond under the direction of the Virginia State Water Control Board because of three fish kills in a nearby pond. In 1976 or 1977, approximately 1,100 to 1,400 pounds of chromated copper arsenate (CCA) were rendered unusable and were disposed of in a ditch on the site. In 1987, Rentokil, the Potentially Responsible Party (PRP) for the site, and EPA signed a Consent Order (CO) to determine the nature and extent of contamination and identify alternatives. The investigation determined that the groundwater, soil, and surface water are contaminated with pentachlorophenol, creosote derivatives, copper, chromium, arsenic, and dioxin from the plant operations. Approximately 1,500 people live within a one-mile radius of the site. When the site was placed on the National Priorities List (NPL) in 1989, approximately 350 people used drinking water from wells drilled into the aquifers of concern. In 1987, water lines were extended to those residents living near the site.