The 1,579-acre Naval Weapons Station (NWS) Yorktown � Cheatham Annex (CAX) site is located in Yorktown, Virginia. CAX was commissioned in 1943 as a satellite unit of the Naval Supply Depot to provide bulk storage facilities and serve as an assembly and overseas shipping point during World War II. Prior to Navy ownership and activity, CAX was the location of an explosives manufacturing facility operated by the DuPont de Nemours Company. Historical operations contaminated soil, groundwater, surface water and sediment with hazardous and explosive chemicals. Cleanup is complete at several sites. Investigations at remaining sites are ongoing.