The Naval Weapons Station � Yorktown site is located on the Virginia Peninsula in York and James City counties and Newport News, Virginia. The 10,624-acre facility was established in 1918, with the primary mission of providing ordnance, technical support and related ordnance services to sustain the war-fighting capabilities of the armed services in support of national military strategies. Historical operations and disposal practices contaminated soil, sediment, groundwater and surface water with hazardous chemicals. Cleanups are complete at some sites at the facility. Operation and maintenance activities at these sites are ongoing. Investigations and remedy selection activities are ongoing at the remaining sites.