The 288-acre site is located in Memphis, Shelby County, Tennessee. The site includes an active rail yard, a locomotive fueling and servicing center and a freight car repair facility. Industrial and commercial businesses border the site to the north, east and west. Residential neighborhoods, which include low-income and minority residents, border the site to the south.
Since 1910, an active rail yard since has operated at the site. An intermodal facility transferring freight from trains to trucks operated on site until 2006. Canadian National purchased the Illinois Central Railroad in 1998 and changed the facility�s name to Canadian National�s Harrison Yard in 2009. Fencing surrounds most of the site.