The 50-acre Woodstock Municipal Landfill site is located in Woodstock, Illinois. It was a local dump and open burning area from 1935 to 1958, when the City of Woodstock purchased the property and began to bury municipal waste in on-site trenches. The site also accepted industrial waste for disposal. The landfill closed in 1975. EPA inspected the site in 1985 and observed leachate seeping out of the wastes. Following cleanup, operation and maintenance activities and wetlands restoration are ongoing.