The 80-acre Reilly Tar & Chemical Corporation/St. Louis Park Plant site is located near the intersection of Louisiana Avenue and US Highway 7 in the city of St. Louis Park, in Hennepin County, Minnesota. From 1917 to 1972, Republic Creosoting Company, owned by Reilly Industries, operated a coal tar distillation and wood treatment facility at the site. The facility discharged thousands of gallons per week of wastewater into a bog south of the site, and contaminated soil and groundwater.
Six drinking water wells in St. Louis Park, and one in the city of Hopkins, were closed do to contamination.
In 1984, EPA issued a remedy decision for construction of a drinking water treatment plant for two St. Louis Park wells and the plant was constructed in 1985. In 1986, EPA selected a remedy for most of the remainder of the site. The bog was filled and covered with clean fill in 1986. The city began pumping two wells to control more highly-contaminated groundwater near the source in 1987. In subsequent years, the city began pumping additional wells further from the source to control the spread of the plume. A treatment plant for St. Louis Park drinking water well SLP4 was added in 1992.
The remedy left contaminated soil in place at the site, covered by clean soil. Periodically, the city conducts work at the site that requires digging. Plans for the work, including safe handling of any contaminated soils that are found, and air monitoring to protect workers and nearby residents, are approved by EPA and MPCA. In 2002 the city redeveloped the site into Louisiana Oaks Park.