The 2,700-acre Port Hadlock Detachment (US NAVY) site is located on Indian Island southeast of Port Townsend, Washington. The Navy purchased the island in 1939 and uses it for munitions storage and handling. Potential sources of hazardous substances include municipal and industrial landfills, drum and container storage areas, aboveground and belowground storage tanks, burn pits, and disposal pits. Disposal activities at several site locations resulted in soil, groundwater, sediment and shellfish contaminated with ordnance compounds, heavy metals, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and pesticides. Following cleanup, operation and maintenance activities and monitoring are ongoing.