Record of Decision System (RODS)
DAVISVILLE NAVAL CONSTRUCTION BATTALION CENTER
|Site Name:||DAVISVILLE NAVAL CONSTRUCTION BATTALION CENTER|
|Address:||OFF SANFORD RD.|
|City & State:||NORTH KINGSTOWN RI 02818|
|NPL Status:||Currently on the Final NPL|
|ROD Type:||Record of Decision|
|Contaminant:||Base Neutral Acids, Inorganics, PAH, PCBs, Pesticides, VOC|
Please note that the text in this document summarizes the Record of Decision for the purposes of facilitating searching and retrieving key text on the ROD. It is not the officially approved abstract drafted by the EPA Regional offices. Once EPA Headquarters receives the official abstract, this text will be replaced.
The former U.S. Naval Construction Battalion Center (NCBC) Davisville is located in North Kingstown, Rhode Island, approximately 18 miles south of the state capital, Providence. A significant portion of the NCBC Davisville facility is located adjacent to Narragansett Bay.
NCBC Davisville is composed of three areas: the Main Center, the West Davisville storage area, and Camp Fogarty--a training facility located approximately 4 miles west of the Main Center. Camp Fogarty was transferred to the U.S. Department of the Army in December 1993, and now is assigned to the Rhode Island National Guard. Adjoining the southern boundary of the Main Center is the decommissioned Naval Air Station (NAS) Quonset Point, which was transferred by the Navy to the Rhode Island Port Authority (currently named the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation) and others between 1975 and 1980.
In 1939, Quonset Point was acquired by the Navy to establish a Naval Air Station. By 1942, the operations at NAS Quonset Point had expanded into what is now called NCBC Davisville. Also in 1942, the Naval Construction Training Center, know as Camp Endicott, was established to train the newly established construction battalions.
A 1939 aerial photograph of Allen Harbor area depicts the landfill as an undeveloped open grass field rimmed with shrubs and bushes. From 1946 to 1972, the Allen Harbor Landfill was used for the disposal of waste material generated by NCBC Davisville and NAS Quonset Point. Reportedly, a variety of waste, including municipal-type waste, construction debris, rubble, preservatives, paint thinners, degreasers (e.g., solvents), polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB) oil, asbestos, ash, sewage sludge, and waste fuel oil were disposed of in the landfill, usually including burning the waste and covering it with soil.
In 1951, Davisville became the Headquarters Construction Battalion Center (CBC). The CBC loaded ships and trained men for both the Korean and Vietnam Conflicts. In 1974, operations at Davisville were greatly reduced, and in 1991, closure of NCBC was announced. NCBC was officially closed on April 1, 1994. The facility has been transferred to Northern Division, Naval Facilities Engineering Command, which has a caretaker status pending disposal.
There are currently 12 Areas of contamination (AOCs) and four Study Areas (SAs) within the NCBC Davisville that are under investigation. Portions of the facility in which Sites 05, 06, 08, 11 and 13 are located are set aside for economical/industrial development under the Comprehensive Base Reuses Plan.
Site 05, the Transformer Oil Disposal Area, is located in the Main Center of NCBC Davisville adjacent to an area historically used for storage of materials and equipment awaiting shipment. In 1968 or 1969, approximately 30 gallons of transformer oil containing polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) were reportedly disposed of on the ground within an identified 1,500 square foot site area. The Phase I Remedial Investigation (RI) at Site 05 was conducted in 1989.
Site 08, the Defense Property Disposal Office (DPDO) Film Processing Area, is a flat, grass-covered area to the east of Building 314 at West Davisville. The site, approximately 80 feet by 40 feet in area, was likely to have received runoff from a reported waste disposal area. For a six-month period during 1973, the DPDO recovered silver from photographic wastes. Waste liquids from this recovery process were reportedly discharged during rainfall events onto the pavement outside of Building 314 and were allowed to drain from the pavement. The Navy conducted two phases of RI field investigations at Site 08 in 1989 and 1993.
A Record of Decision (ROD) was completed in September 1995 for Site 05 and 13.
Site 09, the Allen Harbor Landfill, is located in the Main Center of the NCBC Davisville. It is an approximate 15-acre, grassy, wooded area. The site is located within a 100-year floodplain and is bounded to the east by Allen Harbor, to the west by Sanford Road, and to the north and south by vegetated wetlands. In 1984, the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management (RIDEM) closed Allen Harbor to shellfishing due to suspected contamination by several sources, including Site 09.
Site 06 is a flat grassy area located between Buildings 67 and 38, covering roughly a quarter of an acre. Site 06 was reportedly used from 1970 to 1972 for the disposal of waste chlorinated hydrocarbon solvents.
Site 11, the Former Fighting Training Area, consists of an open grassy field measuring approximately 200 feet by 300 feet. Site 11 was used between the mid-1940s and 1955 as a Fire Fighting Training Area, where waste oils were allegedly poured on the ground, promptly ignited, and extinguished. Recent review of historic aerial photographs reveal that the area was used for equipment storage, and the low level of constituents found at the site are consistent with this use.
Site 13 is approximately six acres in size and consists of a flat grassy field. From 1945 to 1955 NCBC Davisville Construction Equipment Division (CED) was located in Buildings W-3, W-4 and T-1. Overhaul and repair activities were conducted in these buildings, vehicles were stored in the field to the north and west, and drums of oils, thinner and solvents ere stored adjacent to the buildings. Waste oils, approximately 300 gallons per month during the period of 1945 to 1955, were reportedly spread on the fields northwest of the buildings. The Navy completed a removal action in the spring of 1997 at Site 13. PCB-contaminated soil was removed and disposed off-site. The Navy has evaluated the remaining constituents in soil and groundwater ate Site 13 by performing risk assessments at the site in May 1998.
Site 10, the Camp Fogarty Disposal Area, has been transferred to the U.S. Army, and remains an active facility that was not impacted by the closure of NCBC Davisville. Camp Fogarty is a 375-acre parcel of land located about four miles west of the Main Center. Site 10 is currently utilized by several military installations, including the Navy, Army, State and Federal agencies, area police departments, and civilian groups.
A ROD was completed in September 1998 for Sites 06, 11, and 13. A ROD was completed in June 1998 addressing Site 10 and the groundwater at Site 08.
For Sites 6, 11, and 13 the selected remedy is No Further Action. The No Further Action alternative includes no monitoring, no deed restrictions, and no remedial actions at any of the sites.
Estimated Capital Cost: Not provided
Estimated Annual O & M Costs: Not provided
Estimated Present Worth Costs: Not provided
View full-text ROD [
To download a full-text ROD, right click on the above link and select Save Link As. A full-text ROD is in PDF format. Please note that download time may be extended given the size of the full-text document. File size is noted in kilobytes (K) or megabytes (M) next to the download link.
Return to Search Results Return to RODS List