Record of Decision System (RODS)
ABERDEEN PROVING GROUND (EDGEWOOD AREA)
|Site Name:||ABERDEEN PROVING GROUND (EDGEWOOD AREA)|
|Address:||OFF RTE 40|
|City & State:||EDGEWOOD MD 21010|
|NPL Status:||Currently on the Final NPL|
|ROD Type:||Record of Decision|
|Contaminant:||Chemical warfare material, agent degradation products|
Please note that the text in this document summarizes the Record of Decision for the purposes of facilitating searching and retrieving key text on the ROD. It is not the officially approved abstract drafted by the EPA Regional offices. Once EPA Headquarters receives the official abstract, this text will be replaced.
Aberdeen Proving Ground (APG) is located in Aberdeen, Maryland. Carroll Island is located in the westernmost portion of the Edgewood Area of APG. APG is located approximately 1 mile south of Gunpowder Falls State Park and is separated from the rest of the Edgewood Area by the Gunpowder River. The closest residents are located on Beach Road, approximately « mile from Carroll Island. The community of Carrollwood Manor is approximately 1« miles away.
Carroll Island encompasses approximately 855 acres, of which 680 are classifiable wetlands. It is bounded by Seneca and Saltpeter Creeks, the Gunpowder River, and Chesapeake Bay. Portions of its shoreline are subject to severe storm surge and wave erosion. Extensive areas are also subject to flooding and sediment transport.
Carroll Island was acquired by the U.S. Army in 1918 as part of the original Edgewood Arsenal. Documentation on the use of Carroll Island before the 1940s is limited, but there is no evidence of Army activity before this period.
In 1944, the Army used Carroll Point and the area north of Lower Island Point to test white phosphorus and high explosive ordnance. Also, a large field on the northeastern part of Carroll Island was cleared during the latter part of that decade and, along with other parts of the island, used as a chemical warfare material (CWM) test area. Nerve and blister agents were released at the test area through 1969; riot control exercises and smoke-producing and simulant materials testing were conducted through 1971.
Waste from testing activities was discarded via dumping or burial on the island. In 1975, the CWM testing facilities at Carroll Island were decommissioned.
This operable unit potentially contains CWM or other hazardous substances. The removal and disposal or treatment of the entire volume of waste in the disposal pits/areas addresses the principal threat to human health and the environment by removing source materials and eliminating the potential release of contaminants to the environment.
The major components of the selected remedy include: hand excavation of the waste in the disposal pits/area, and segregation and disposal or treatment of excavated waste.
View full-text ROD [
To download a full-text ROD, right click on the above link and select Save Link As. A full-text ROD is in PDF format. Please note that download time may be extended given the size of the full-text document. File size is noted in kilobytes (K) or megabytes (M) next to the download link.
Return to Search Results Return to RODS List