Jump to main content.


Local Navigation


Record of Decision System (RODS)

ABERDEEN PROVING GROUND (EDGEWOOD AREA)

Abstract

Site Name:  ABERDEEN PROVING GROUND (EDGEWOOD AREA)
Address:  OFF RTE 40 
City & State:  EDGEWOOD  MD  21010
County:  HARFORD
 
EPA ID:  MD2210020036
EPA Region:  03
 
NPL Status:  Currently on the Final NPL
 
ROD Type:  Record of Decision
ROD ID:  EPA/541/R-97/090
ROD Date:  09/24/1997
Operable Unit(s):  02
 
Media:  Groundwater,Soil,Water,Sediment(s)
 
Contaminant:  1,1,2,2-tetrachloroethane.
 
Abstract:  The U.S. Army Aberdeen Proving Ground (APG) is a 72,516-acre installation located in southern Harford County, Maryland on the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay. The installation is bordered to the east and south by the Chesapeake Bay; to the west by Gunpowder Falls State Park, the Crane Power Plant and residential areas; and to the north by the City of Aberdeen and the towns of Edgewood, Joppatowne, Magnolia, and Perryman. APG is divided into two areas by the Bush River; the Edgewood Area (EA) of APG lies to the west and the Aberdeen area (AA) lies to the east. The Beach Point Test (BPT) site is an approximately 7-acre peninsula located in APG-EA.APG was established in 1917 as the Ordnance Proving Ground and was designated a formal military post in 1919. Testing of ammunition and other equipment and operation of training schools began at APG in 1918. Between this time and the onset of World War II, activities at APG included research and development and large-scale testing of a wide variety of munitions, weapons, and other equipment. The first recorded operations at the BPT site involved the field testing of one semi-permanent and two mobile process plants used to develop and test the impregnation of military clothing. (Clothing impregnation was needed to protect soldiers from the effects of chemical warfare agents.) Each plant operated for a period of approximately 1,000 hours from March through May 1943. A small laboratory was associated with each plant.Activities that took place on site contributed to the contamination. Those activities include testing of liquid rocket fuels and other explosives, and storage of chemical warfare agents. Various investigations have been conducted on site from 1977 until 1991. In 1993, the Army removed four overpack drums containing fog oil, an empty 500-gallon aboveground storage tank, a cinder block wall, and miscellaneous debris from the former drum rack area. During 1994 and 1995, the Army conducted further characterization of the site through a series of sampling events.
 
Remedy:  The final remediation of the Beach Point Test Site involves the use of institutional controls and a monitoring program.
 
Text:  View full-text ROD [ 89K ]
To download a full-text ROD, right click on the above link and select Save Link As. A full-text ROD is in PDF format. Please note that download time may be extended given the size of the full-text document. File size is noted in kilobytes (K) or megabytes (M) next to the download link.
About Adobe Portable Document Format
 
Return to Search Results    Return to RODS List

OSWER Home | Superfund Home


Jump to main content.