Jump to main content.


Local Navigation


Record of Decision System (RODS)

ABERDEEN PROVING GROUND (EDGEWOOD AREA)

Abstract

Site Name:  ABERDEEN PROVING GROUND (EDGEWOOD AREA)
Address:  OFF RTE 40 
City & State:  EDGEWOOD  MD  21010
County:  HARFORD
 
EPA ID:  MD2210020036
EPA Region:  03
 
NPL Status:  Currently on the Final NPL
 
ROD Type:  Record of Decision
ROD ID:  EPA/541/R-97/091
ROD Date:  09/23/1997
Operable Unit(s):  06
 
Media:  Groundwater,Soil,Sediment(s)
 
Contaminant:  Arsenic, copper, mercury, silver, zinc, 4,4-DDE.
 
Abstract:  The U.S. Army Aberdeen Proving Ground (APG) is a 72,516-acre installation located in southern Harford County, Maryland on the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay. The installation is bordered to the east and south by the Chesapeake Bay; to the west by Gunpowder Falls State Park, the Crane Power Plant and residential areas; and to the north by the City of Aberdeen and the towns of Edgewood, Joppatowne, Magnolia, and Perryman. APG is divided into two areas by the Bush River. The Edgewood area of APG lies to the west and the Aberdeen area lies to the east. The O-Field Study Area is located on the Gunpowder Neck peninsula in the Edgewood area of APG.APG was established in 1917 as the Ordnance Proving Ground and was designated a formal military post in 1919. Testing of ammunition and other equipment and operation of training schools began at APG in 1918. Between this time and the onset of World War II, activities at APG included research and development and large-scale testing of a wide variety of munitions, weapons, and other equipment. Periodic disposal of waste materials at the O-Field area began before World War II; the first documented use of Old O-Field occurred in May 1941, although other records suggest that disposal activities occurred as early as the late 1930s. Disposal consisted of placing materials in excavated trenches and then covering the trenches with soil. The last pit used for disposal of materials within Old O-Field was closed in 1953.Activities such as the burial of chemical-filled/explosive-loaded munitions, contaminated plant equipment, pipes, tanks, and 55-gallon drums; decontamination of ships; and spontaneous ignition of buried explosives all contributed to the contamination at the site. Between 1977 and 1991, various investigations have been conducted at the site to determine the type and extent of contamination. In late 1991, groundwater and surface water sampling took place that led to the design of a groundwater treatment facility that began operation in 1995. A study performed at the source area led to the design of a permeable infiltration unit, and construction should be complete in 1998.
 
Remedy:  The major components of the selected remedy include: institutional restrictions and maintenance of existing physical security measures; prevention of development and disturbance of the site; provision of information for workers and the public concerning the risks present at the site; and long-term monitoring of site conditions.
 
Text:  View full-text ROD [ 81K ]
To download a full-text ROD, right click on the above link and select Save Link As. A full-text ROD is in PDF format. Please note that download time may be extended given the size of the full-text document. File size is noted in kilobytes (K) or megabytes (M) next to the download link.
About Adobe Portable Document Format
 
Return to Search Results    Return to RODS List

OSWER Home | Superfund Home


Jump to main content.