Record of Decision System (RODS)
FORT GEORGE G. MEADE
|Site Name:||FORT GEORGE G. MEADE|
|Address:||MARYLAND ROUTE 175|
|City & State:||ODENTON MD 21113|
|NPL Status:||Currently on the Final NPL|
|ROD Type:||Record of Decision|
|Media:||Groundwater, Sediment, Soil, Surface Water|
|Contaminant:||Metals, Nitroaromatics, Pesticides, VOC|
Fort George G. Meade (FGGM) is located in Anne Arundel County, Maryland. Prior to Base Closure and Realignment (BRAC), FGGM occupied 13,596 acres of land in the northwest corner of Anne Arundel County. It is bounded on the north by the Baltimore-Washington Parkway and by the Patuxent River to the south.
The facility was authorized by Congress in 1917 as a training cantonment for troops during World War I. During the 1940s, the facility underwent widespread growth to accommodate several regiments who moved their base of operations to FGGM, including the Second U.S. Army and the Eleventh Cavalry. Tipton Army Airfield was completed in
1963, replacing a small airstrip that has been in operation since 1928.
In 1988, BRAC mandated the closure and/or realignment of approximately 9,000 acres, encompassing the southernmost two-thirds of the installation. In 1991, the Army transferred 7,600 of the 9,000 acres to the Department of Interior's Patuxent Research Refuge (PRR), formerly known as the Patuxent Wildlife Research Center (PWRC). A second land transfer of approximately 500 acres to the PRR took place in January 1993.
The Tipton Airfield Area parcel, comprised of one Inactive Landfill, the Tipton Airfield, the airfield infrastructure and adjacent areas, covers approximately 366 acres of the remaining property. The helicopter hangar area is located at the northwest corner of the airfield, adjacent to the Little Patuxent River. The former fire training area is located off Airfield Road and is north of the airfield and east of the helicopter hangar.
FGGM was placed on the National Priorities List (NPL) in July 1998.
OU2 consists of AREEs 10 and 11. AREE 10 consists of Inactive Landfill 1 (IAL1). AREE 11 consists of Inactive Landfill 2 (IAL2). IAL1 has an approximate extent of 16 acres and was used as an unlined sanitary landfill from approximately 1950 to 1964. No information has been found indicating the types of material disposed at this location. The United States Army performed Ordnance Safety Measures at IAL1 from 1998-1999. The selected action was a combination of ordnance clearance to a four-foot depth and construction of a safety cover. During this action, 54 ordnance items were recovered, rendered safe, and disposed. In addition, more than 760 tons of scrap were recovered incidental to the ordnance removal, and recycled at local facilities. The area of IAL1 not cleared of suspected ordnance is approximately 5.5 acres. A three-foot thick safety cover has been constructed. IAL2 was initially operated as a soil borrow area. According to the Enhanced Preliminary Assessment, the area was subsequently operated as an unlined rubble disposal area. Continued disposal activity occurred after 1980 in the northern portion of IAL2 where graded and disturbed areas are visible in 1986. During Remedial Investigation field work, piles of rubble material (brush, concrete and asphalt debris) which appear to be of more recent origin were observed in a marshy area on the north side of IAL2. In 1998, the United States Army performed Ordnance Safety Measures by installing a passive engineering control consisting of a seven-foot high chain link fence with three-strand barbed wire surrounding the entire site.
A no further action alternative is the selected remedy for the Tipton Airfield Parcel Operable Unit (TAP OU). Based on the previously taken safety measures and actions, including restrictions on future land use, and the results of the risk evaluation, it was determined that the TAP OU poses no current or future potential, unacceptable human health risks. Therefore, the conditions at the TAP OU do not require further action to be protective of human health and the
The remedy also requires that every two years after the date of this Record of Decision, groundwater will be sampled from certain wells. In addition, the Tipton area will be inspected to assure compliance with the land use restrictions. The only cost associated with this remedy is the cost related to a review every five years will be conducted to evaluate the frequency and need for continued monitoring. This is to ensure that the remedy continues to provide adequate protection of human health and the environment.
Estimated Capital Cost: Not Provided
Estimated Annual O&M Costs: Not Provided
Estimated Present Worth Costs: Not Provided
View full-text ROD [
To download a full-text ROD, right click on the above link and select Save Link As. A full-text ROD is in PDF format. Please note that download time may be extended given the size of the full-text document. File size is noted in kilobytes (K) or megabytes (M) next to the download link.
Return to Search Results Return to RODS List