Record of Decision System (RODS)
OHIO RIVER PARK
|Site Name:||OHIO RIVER PARK|
|City & State:||NEVILLE ISLAND PA 15225|
|NPL Status:||Currently on the Final NPL|
|ROD Type:||Record of Decision|
|Media:||Groundwater, Other, Sediment, Soil, Surface Water|
|Contaminant:||Base Neutral Acids, Inorganics, Metals, PAH, PCBs, Pesticides, Radioactive, VOC|
Please note that the text in this document summarizes the Record of Decision for the purposes of facilitating searching and retrieving key text on the ROD. It is not the officially approved abstract drafted by the EPA Regional offices. Once EPA Headquarters receives the official abstract, this text will be replaced.
The Ohio River Park Site includes approximately 32 acres on the western end of Neville island, approximately 10 miles downstream of the City of Pittsburgh. The Main Channel of the Ohio River borders the site to the north and the Back Channel borders it to the south. The site is accessible from the mainland via the new Coraopolis Bridge, linking the Town of Coraopolis with Neville Island.
The site is defined as all areas found presently, or in the future, to be impacted by contamination that resulted from hazardous waste disposal operations previously conducted at this location. Land use on Neville Island is generally industrial/commercial, although some residential areas are present. Most of Neville Island's 930 residents live in the area between the Coraopolis Bridge and Highway I-79. The nearest residence is located approximately 450 feet from the site. The eastern end of the island, approximately two miles east of the Site, is occupied by petrochemical facilities, coal cooking facilities and abandoned steel facilities.
The Site consists primarily of open fields surrounded by trees and underbrush that form a perimeter adjacent to the river. The site is located almost completely within the 100-year floodplain but above the ordinary high water elevation. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has divided the site into three Operable Units (OUs).
Prior to the 1940's, the predominant land use at the site was agricultural. Beginning in the mid-1930's until the midd-1950's, a portion of the site was used for municipal landfill operations including the disposal of domestic trash and construction debris. Industrial waste disposal activities were conducted at the site from 1952 through the 1960's.
Pittsburgh Coke and Chemical Company (PC&C) disposed of much of the industrial waste at the site. PC&C began production of coke and pig iron on the eastern end of the island in 1929, operated a cement products plant during the 1930's, and produced coal coking by-products during the 1940's. Between 1949 and 1955, PC&C's Agricultural Chemicals Division manufactured pesticides. Two methods of waste disposal were used by PC&C at the site: wet wastes were placed into trenches and dry wastes were piled on the surface. Fifty-four trenches have been identified as being used for disposal of tar acid, tar decanter, and occasionally agricultural chemical wastes. PC&C operations ceased in 1965-66. PC&C merged into Wilmington Securities, Inc., the parent corporation of the Neville Land Company (NLC).
In 1977, NLC donated the site to Allegheny County. Allegheny County began construction of a park on the site in 1977 and completed the construction in 1979. The park was never opened to the public, however, and was subsequently dismantled. During the course of the work, approximately 13,000 cubic yards of various wastes were discovered at the site. While most of these materials were excavated and removed from the site, some materials were reburied. After this discovery, Allegheny County transferred the title to the land back to NLC.
It was proposed that the site be included on the National Priorities List (NPL) in October 1989, and it was eventually placed on the list in August 1990. In October 1991, EPA and NLC, the owner of the site, entered into an Administrative Order on Consent in which the NLC agreed to conduct a Remedial Investigation/Feasibility Study of the site.
OU1 includes approximately 31 acres owned by NLC, and is located north of Grand Avenue and west of the Coraopolis Bridge. Buried waste and soil contamination is present in this portion of the site.
A Record of Decision (ROD) was completed for OU1 in September 1996.
OU2 is an approximately one-acre area on the southeast corner of the site that includes an approach roadway for the Coraopolis Bridge and a meadow along the Back Channel of the Ohio River. The area is also referred to as "the Bridge Portion of the site" and is owned by Allegheny County.
EPA determined that no cleanup action is required for OU2 in a ROD signed in March of 1993.
OU3 addresses groundwater contamination for the entire site. EPA initially planned to address these areas of concern as part of OU1. After issuing the Proposed Plan for OU1 and receiving public comments on the Agency's cleanup recommendations, EPA limited the scope of OU1 to remediation of contamination in the buried waste and soil at the site. Additional data were needed to select a final remedy to address contamination in the groundwater, surface water, and sediment at the site.
A ROD addressing the groundwater, surface water, and sediment contamination at the site was completed in September 1998.
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has selected monitored natural attenuation and institutional controls to address Operable Unit 3 (OU3) at the site. This remedy will comply with the Safe Drinking Water Act Maximum Contaminant Levels (MCLs), and the State Medium-Specific Concentrations (MSCs) for any contaminant for which an MCL does not exist, and the Pennsylvania water quality standards and water quality criteria for toxic substances.
Natural attenuation processes shall be allowed to reduce the concentrations of benzene and 2,3,6-trichlorophenol in the groundwater plume at the site to levels that protect human health and the environment. Monitoring shall be performed to measure changes in contaminant concentration in the groundwater plume at the site until the cleanup levels have been achieved. Monitoring points shall be located along the property line on the Back Channel site of Neville Island, beneath the Back Channel at the downgradient edge of the benzene plume, beneath the Main Channel, and at the Coraopolis public water supply well nearest to the site. Samples shall be collected from the monitoring points on a quarterly basis.
Deed restrictions shall be placed on site property to prohibit use of the groundwater until cleanup levels have been achieved. Warning signs shall be posted along site shoreline to warn fishermen not to eat fish caught in the area. The wording of these signs shall be approved by EPA, in consultation with the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP), during the Remedial Design.
Estimated Capital Costs: not provided
Estimated Annual O&M Costs: not provided
Estimated Present Worth Costs: $1,010,000
View full-text ROD [
To download a full-text ROD, right click on the above link and select Save Link As. A full-text ROD is in PDF format. Please note that download time may be extended given the size of the full-text document. File size is noted in kilobytes (K) or megabytes (M) next to the download link.
Return to Search Results Return to RODS List