Record of Decision System (RODS)
MIDDLETOWN AIR FIELD
|Site Name:||MIDDLETOWN AIR FIELD|
|Address:||APPROX 1 MLE OFF RTE 230|
|City & State:||MIDDLETOWN PA 17057|
|NPL Status:||Deleted from the Final NPL|
|ROD Type:||Record of Decision|
Please note that the text in this document summarizes the Record of Decision for the purposes of facilitating searching and retrieving key text on the ROD. It is not the officially approved abstract drafted by the EPA Regional offices. Once EPA Headquarters receives the official abstract, this text will be replaced.
The Midddletown Air Field site is located in Pennsylvania, about 8 miles from Harrisburg. It is situated between the boroughs of Highspire and Middletown along Pennsylvania Route 230, and bordered by the Susquehanna River to the south.
The property was initially established Camp George Gordon Meade by the Army on rolling farmland as a basic training camp in response to the Spanish-American War in July, 1898. In less than a year, the tent camp reverted to a pickle farm, until 1917, when ground was broken for what eventually became known as the Olmstead Air Force Base in 1947. Activities throughout the history of the site included: warehousing and supply of parts, equipment, general supplies, petroleum, oil and lubricants; complete aircraft overhaul including stripping, repainting, engine overhaul, reassembly, and equipment replacement; engine and aircraft testing; and general base support maintenance and operation.
Operations performed by tenants of buildings on the site include: aircraft maintenance operations; aircraft paint stripping and repainting; parts cleaning; aircraft instrument overhaul and repair; fabric dying; machine shop operations; and typewriter ribbon inking and cartridge assembly.
Approximately 218 acres of former administrative and housing facilities north of Route 230 are owned by the Harrisburg campus of Pennsylvania State University. An additional 93 acres of former Air Force warehouse facilities just south of I-76 were sold in 1995. The company that sold the property still retains ownership of the North Base Landfill and was involved in the manufacturing of truck trailers with site activities including welding, punching, fastening, foaming, and painting.
Since 1983, studies have been conducted at the facility to investigate and monitor areas that were affected by operations at the site. Trichloroethylene (TCE) was discovered in six of ten production wells, which triggered subsequent environmental investigations and studies, and the installation of a water treatment system that is currently still in use at the facility.
In 1984, ground-penetrating radar and magnetometer surveys were conducted at the Runway, Industrial, and North Base Landfill areas. Nine partially exposed 55-gallon drums were removed from a fill area located along a stream bank northeast of the Meade Heights housing complex. The drums were empty except for water and coatings of a hard, black tarry substance. These contents were sampled and found to be nonhazardous.
|Remedy:||Based on the results of the risk assessment (RA) conducted as part of the Operable Unit 3 (OU 3) investigation, it is concluded that the conditions at the site pose no current or potential threat to human health or the environment and no additional remedial actions need to be implemented.|
View full-text ROD [
To download a full-text ROD, right click on the above link and select Save Link As. A full-text ROD is in PDF format. Please note that download time may be extended given the size of the full-text document. File size is noted in kilobytes (K) or megabytes (M) next to the download link.
Return to Search Results Return to RODS List