Record of Decision System (RODS)
TOBYHANNA ARMY DEPOT
|Site Name:||TOBYHANNA ARMY DEPOT|
|Address:||11 HAP ARNOLD BOULEVARD|
|City & State:||TOBYHANNA PA 184665086|
|NPL Status:||Currently on the Final NPL|
|ROD Type:||Record of Decision|
Tobyhanna Army Depot (TYAD) was initially established as Camp Summerall when the government purchased 33 square miles of land in northeastern Pennsylvania in 1909. In 1913, the area was used by the Army and National Guard for machine gun and field artillery training, and later was renamed Tobyhanna Military Reservation. The reservation became an ambulance and tank regiment training center and an ordnance storage depot during World War I (WW I).
The installation was deactivated after WWI and remained inactive until 1932. From 1932 to 1938, the area was used as a camp by the Civilian Conservation Corps. From 1938 to 1941, the area was used by cadets from West Point for field artillery training.
In 1942, the installation was reactivated as an Army/Air Force Service Unit Training Center. The area was also converted to a storage and supply area for glides and other equipment of the Air Service Command in 1944. The installation was deactivated after World War II (WWII).
The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania purchased the Tobyhanna site from the War Assets Administration in 1949. The Department of Forests and Waters and the Pennsylvania State Game Commission maintained the property from 1949 to 1951. During January 1951, 2.2 square miles was obtained by the Signal Corps for depot construction. Depot construction was performed by a civilian contractor; this contractor used the southeastern corner of TYAD as a base of operations and an equipment staging area. The balance of the tract remained as state-owned land with the federal government exercising recovery rights. In the following years, up to and including the present, much of this tract has been designated as state game lands and parks.
Tobyhanna Signal Depot was established as a Class II installation during February 1953, with an assigned supply mission. In August 1962, the depot was redesignated as TOAD. In 1994, the call letters for Tobyhanna Army Depot were changed from "TOAD" to "TYAD" and transferred to the U.S. /Army Material Command. Since 1962, TYAD has assumed a variety of missions ranging from the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) household goods movement and storage to maintaining the Army's central file of motion pictures and distribution of audio-visual materials.
Currently, TYAD is a communication s-electronics (C-E) maintenance and supply depot assigned to the U.S. Army Industrial Operations Command. The primary mission is logistics support for C-E equipment throughout the Army. TYAD is the largest C-E overhaul facility in the Army and is responsible for overhauling, rebuilding, repairing, converting, inspecting, testing, and assembling items including Tactical Fire Direction Systems and Satellite Communication Systems. Since its activation, TYAD has been a Government-Owned/Government-Operated installation. No industrial leases have existed at TYAD.
The initial stage of the TYAD Installation Program (IRP), the Discovery Phase, consisted of an Initial installation Assessment (IIA) (records search), which was conducted in 1979 and published in January 1980. Based on the results of this assessment and active efforts by TYAD personnel to address several of the problem areas, the US Army Environmental Center (USAEC) concluded that additional investigative efforts were not warranted. Subsequently, USAEC determined that some of the original record searches conducted nationwide during the late 1970s and early 1980s should be reevaluated due to changes in the environmental laws. TYAD was included in this retook program. During October 1986, a reevaluation of TYAD was conducted; the final report became available in February 1988 (ESE, 1988b).
The Army and EPA, in consultation with the State have selected Alternative 2, monitored natural attenuation/institutional controls as the remedy for Operable Unit (OU) 5.
Alternative 2 includes actions to monitor natural attenuation of the contamination. The groundwater monitoring data indicate that the plume is stable and that natural attenuation is occurring at OU 5. Alternative 2 requires a long-term groundwater monitoring program, and provides additional control measures to limit potential exposure to contaminated groundwater through institutional controls and public education programs.
Alternative 2 would involve semi-annual groundwater sampling for volatile organic compounds (VOCs), semi-VOCs, and metals. Groundwater data would be evaluated to confirm that the size and strength of the contaminant plume is decreasing over time.
Because the surrounding lands are state-owned park or game lands, no new uses of groundwater down gradient of OU 5 are anticipated. However, because Alternative 2 includes the existing agreement with Coolbaugh Township regarding notification of new construction involving potable water, implementation of Alternative 2 would ensure that the new wells are not placed in areas of known or suspected contamination.
Alternative 2 also includes a prohibition on construction of any on-post drinking water well in the area of OU 5 and results of long-term monitoring would be presented to all employees in articles in the installation newspaper, "The Tobyhanna Reporter."
Estimated Capital Cost: $0
Estimated Annual O&M Cost: Not provided
Estimated Present Worth Cost: $1,340,000
Estimated Total O&M Cost: $1,340,000
View full-text ROD [
To download a full-text ROD, right click on the above link and select Save Link As. A full-text ROD is in PDF format. Please note that download time may be extended given the size of the full-text document. File size is noted in kilobytes (K) or megabytes (M) next to the download link.
Return to Search Results Return to RODS List