Record of Decision System (RODS)
NAVAL WEAPONS STATION - YORKTOWN
|Site Name:||NAVAL WEAPONS STATION - YORKTOWN|
|Address:||US NAVAL WEAPONS STA|
|City & State:||YORKTOWN VA 23690|
|NPL Status:||Currently on the Final NPL|
|ROD Type:||Record of Decision|
|Media:||surface soil, groundwater, sediment|
|Contaminant:||Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), volatile organic compounds (VOCs) land-use restrictions, aquifer-use restrictions|
Please note that the text in this document summarizes the Record of Decision for the purposes of facilitating searching and retrieving key text on the ROD. It is not the officially approved abstract drafted by the EPA Regional offices. Once EPA Headquarters receives the official abstract, this text will be replaced.
On October 15, 1992, Naval Weapons Station Yorktown (WPNSTA Yorktown) was placed on the National Priorities List (NPL). WPNSTA Yorktown is a 10,624 acre installation located on the Virginia peninsula. The facility is bounded on the northwest by the Naval Supply Center Cheatham Annex, the Virginia Emergency Fuel Farm, and the community of Whittaker's Mill; on the northeast by York River and the Colonial National Historic Parkway; on the southwest by Route 143 and Interstate 64; and on the southeast by Route 238 and the community of Lackey.
Originally named the U.S. Mine Depot, WPNSTA Yorktown, was established in 1918 to support the laying of mines in the North Sea during WWI. The establishment of the depot was the culmination of a search process, begun in 1917 at the request of Congress to locate an Atlantic coast site for weapons handling and storage. For 20 years after WWI, the depot received, reclaimed, stored, and issued mines, depth charges, and related materials. During WWII, the facility was expanded to include three additional trinitrotolulene (TNT) loading plants and new torpedo overhaul facilities. A research and development laboratory was developed to monitor special tasks assigned to the facility, which included the design and development of depth charges and advanced underwater weapons. On August 7, 1959, the U.S. Mine Depot was redesignated the U.S. Naval Weapons Station. Today, the primary mission of WPNSTA, Yorktown is to provide ordnance, technical support, and related services to sustain the war-fighting capability of the armed forces.
The Site is an approximately five-acre area located adjacent to West Road near Lee Road. The northern portion of the Site is adjacent to a set of railroad tracks and is primarily flat and grass covered. The remaining portion of the Site is currently wooded. The eastern, southern, and western sides of the Site dip into drainage pathways that run in a southerly direction. Eventually, these pathways move west into Felgates Creek, which drains into the York River, approximately one and one half miles from the Site.
With respect to land usage, no housing currently exists at the Site. Portions of the Site were reportedly used for waste container storage prior to the remodeling and conversion of Building 402 into a hazardous waste storage facility. The current WPNSTA Yorktown hazardous waste storage facility is located at Building 2035. Building 53 at the western portion of the Site is used for the station's wildlife and forestry management personnel. North of the Site is a horse pasture and paddock.
The Site is underlain by unconsolidated deposits of fine-grain sand, silts, clays, and marine shells. The Dogue, Pamunky, and the Uchee Soil Association was observed north of Felgates Creek, throughout the majority of the study area. The soils of this association are generally found to be deep, moderately to well drained, and to have clayey, silty, sandy loams in the surface soils.
The Site was operated from the 1950s to the early 1960s as a dump Site. Wastes reported to have been disposed include dry carbon-zinc batteries, banding materials, pressure transmitting fluid, unknown types of chemicals, mine casings, construction debris, and 55-gallon drums with unknown contents.
Only one small area containing waste at depth was encountered at the Site. Located underneath a pile of drums, this small waste area contained common refuse material including glass, cans, and newspapers. The refuse material was encountered at a depth of two feet below ground surface and extended to a depth of approximately nine feet. Based on this waste characterization study, this waste was disposed by filling in the slope edge of the Site and then covering it. There was also an area used for scrap metal storage. Dumpsters containing scrap metal had been located on the lower southwest side. Empty drums and scrap metal had been observed on the ground surface near these dumpsters.
The selected remedy involves no additional remedial actions to take place at the Site, including long term monitoring or sampling. Institutional controls, land-use restrictions and aquifer-use restrictions, will be implemented. Monitoring is not required since there are no unacceptable risks under current scenarios for the environmental media. Although risk levels at the Site under future child resident scenarios are within the generally accepted risk range, institutional controls have been included as a conservative measure.
Land-use restrictions will be established to restrict future land development of the Site area for residential purposes. Aquifer-use restrictions will be implemented to disallow the placement of potable supply wells within the Site area. Although some inorganic constituents in groundwater exceeded Applicable or Relevant and Appropriate Requirements such as Maximum Contaminant Levels (MCL), they did not exceed naturally-occurring background concentrations of these constituents which also exceeded the MCL concentrations.
View full-text ROD [
To download a full-text ROD, right click on the above link and select Save Link As. A full-text ROD is in PDF format. Please note that download time may be extended given the size of the full-text document. File size is noted in kilobytes (K) or megabytes (M) next to the download link.
Return to Search Results Return to RODS List