Record of Decision System (RODS)
TELEDYNE WAH CHANG
|Site Name:||TELEDYNE WAH CHANG|
|Address:||600 OLD SALEM RD NE|
|City & State:||ALBANY OR 97321|
|NPL Status:||Currently on the Final NPL|
|ROD Type:||Record of Decision|
|Contaminant:||TCE, PCBs, Methy Isobutyl, Ketone|
Please note that the text in this document summarizes the Record of Decision for the purposes of facilitating searching and retrieving key text on the ROD. It is not the officially approved abstract drafted by the EPA Regional offices. Once EPA Headquarters receives the official abstract, this text will be replaced.
The 225-acre Teledyne Wah Chung Albany (TWCA) site is located in Millersburg, Oregon. The TWCA site includes the 110-acre main plant and the 115-acre area known as the farm site (Farm Ponds area). The main plant is organized into the following areas; the Extraction Area, the Fabrication Area, and a Solids Storage Area west of the Burlington Northern Railroad. The TWCA plant is bounded on the east by Old Salem Road and Interstate 5. The land east of the plant is used mainly for residential and commercial purposes. The land west of the Willamette River, which forms the western boundary of the plant, is used for agriculture. Portions of the TWCA site are within the river's 100-year and 500-year flood plains. The land surrounding the Farm Ponds Area to the north of the main plant is also used for agricultural purposes. The city of Albany located two miles south of the site had a population of approximately 29,000 in 1990; Millersburg had a population of about 700 people. The TWCA site is located within an area that is zoned for heavy industry. Industrial facilities closest to the TWCA site include; a particle board plant, a resin plant, a wood flour processing plant, and a closed plywood mill. The site has been in operation since 1956 and is currently active.
The Linn Gravel is laterally continuous beneath TWCA and is recognized as the aquifer for groundwater supply in the Albany area. TWCA is located within the broad and relatively flat Willamette Valley which was formed by the Willamette River.
TWCA is an active operating facility which primarily manufactures zirconium metal from zircon sands. Additional operations that have been conducted at the site include the manufacture of hafnium sponge, and tantalum and niobium pilot facilities. The processing of the zircon sands generates sludge, wastewater, residues and gases as by-products. Operations at the site began in 1956 and are ongoing today. Waste management at the site includes process wastewater treatment, solid/sludge waste and residue disposal in piles, surface impoundments, and radioactive waste management. Areas of concern include the following:
Farm Ponds Area:
Since 1979, at the Farms Ponds Area, lime solids from the central wastewater treatment system have been stored in four ponds. A characterization of the chemical and physical nature of the solids was conducted in 1988. The area of concern is 10 acres. In 1976, the Soil Amendment Area was an area where lime solids were applied in a single event. Solids contained low levels of radio nuclides and organic chemicals and high levels of some metals. The area of concern is 47.8 acres.
The Southern Extraction Area, from 1956 to the late 1970s or early 1980s, was an area where chlorinated organic solvents were used in maintenance functions. In the Feed Makeup Area, a release of pre-1078 feed makeup to groundwater occurred and is continuing today. The V-2 Solids Pond was used as a storage pond and pretreatment area for hydrous metal precipitate and lime solids. Solids were removed to Farm Ponds Area for drying in 1989. The Pond was then dewatered, the walls and bottom of the pond were hydraulically scoured, and the pond is currently being backfilled with clean material. Residual chemicals in subsurface soils are a concern at this site. The Spill Treatment Plant has received liquids backfilled with clean material. Residual chemicals in subsurface soils are a concern at this site. The Spill Treatment Plant has received liquids and liquid byproducts generated in the separations process since 1978. Methyl isobutyl ketone (MIBK) has been detected in groundwater near the plant.
From 1959 to the present, the Acid Sump Area has been a process area where caustics and acids are used for cleaning metals. Two drum storage area were near the acid dump. The Arc-Melting Area was used from 1959-1989. TCE was used in the area until 1982, when it was replaced with 1,1,1-TCA. In 1989, 1,1,1-TCA was replaced with Citra-Safe, a nonhazardous solvent. In June 1978, at the Ammonium Sulfate Storage Area, a 400,000 gallon tank containing ammonium sulfate and MIBK failed. From 1958-1976, the Traux Fill Area was an area where undocumented quantities of construction debris and other solid wastes were placed along the northern bank of Traux Creek. Low levels of PCBs were detected in several fill bank samples. The area of concern is 1,000 lineal feet. The Powder Metallurgy Building Area, from 1959-present, uses solvents in a maintenance function. In 1991, floating mineral oil with PCBs was found on the water table, near the Emergency Services Building Area. A removal action was initiated in 1992 to excavate affected soil and source of PCBs.
From 1967-1979, the Lower River Solids Pond received lime solids from the wastewater treatment plant. The solids were removed in November 1991. Approximately 85,000 cubic yards of lime solids make up this volume of concern. From 1974-1979, lime solids were deposited into the Schmidt Lake from the wastewater treatment plant. Approximately 15,000 cubic yards of lime solids are the volume of concern. In May 1983, magnesium chloride solids were formerly stored in the magnesium resource recovery pile area. The pile was removed in 1988. The area was capped with asphalt and is used for materials handling. The volume of concern is 44,000 cubic yards. From 1972-1977, the Chlorinator Residue Pile received residue from the sand chlorination process. The pile was removed and disposed of in 1978. The volume of concern is 5,000 cubic yards.
The unlined sludge ponds have been a concern for the EPA and Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) for many years. The presence of radioactive materials was first confirmed in 1977 by the Oregon State Health Division. Numerous enforcement actions have occurred at the site since 1975 through 1992. The TWCA Site was place on the National Priorities List (NPL) in October 1983. Past remedial activities at the TWCA site include the following: A Record of Decision (ROD) for an interim Response Action at the Sludge Ponds Operable Unit was signed on December 28, 1989. Excavation and removal of the sludge was completed in November 1991. Solid wastes were removed from Schmidt Lake in 1991 as part of the operable unit remedial action and an additional 2,016 cubic yards of material were removed in December 1992. In November 1992, 230 cubic yards of PCB-contaminated soil were removed from the Fabrication Area. In 1991, a pilot test and treatability study was implemented in the Extraction Area of the main plant. Groundwater was pumped and treated for metals removal for a period of four months.
This ROD addresses OU2 which discusses groundwater and sediments at the Site. The selected remedy combines containment, source remediation, and treatment measures to reduce risks to human health and the environment posed by contaminated groundwater and sediment at the TWCA site.
The remedy status for the media addressed in this ROD are as follows: Groundwater 1 is Final Action. The media volume associated with this site is not documented. Sediment 1 is Final Action. The media associated with this site has a volume of 3600 Square Miles. The state concurs with the selected remedy.
|Remedy:||The selected remedy combines containment, source remediation, and treatment measures to reduce risks to human health and the environment posed by contaminated groundwater and sediment at the TWCA site. The selected remedial action for this site includes extracting ground water and treating via air stripping and/or liquid-phase carbon adsorption; discharging treated groundwater to TWCA's wastewater treatment plant; treating (flushing) and or removing subsurface source material; monitoring groundwater; implementing deed restrictions and institutional control on land and groundwater use; preventing slope erosion of contaminated fill with a geotextile cover and riprap; removing 3,600 cubic yards of contaminated sediments; assessing ecological impacts by removing the sediment prior to removal; and long-term surface water and sediment monitoring. The overall Present Worth costs are $7,500,000. The annual O&M costs are $308,000 (Year 1 to 30.)|
View full-text ROD [
To download a full-text ROD, right click on the above link and select Save Link As. A full-text ROD is in PDF format. Please note that download time may be extended given the size of the full-text document. File size is noted in kilobytes (K) or megabytes (M) next to the download link.
Return to Search Results Return to RODS List