Record of Decision System (RODS)
REILLY TAR & CHEMICAL CORP. (INDIANAPOLIS PLANT)
|Site Name:||REILLY TAR & CHEMICAL CORP. (INDIANAPOLIS PLANT)|
|Address:||1500 S TIBBS AVE|
|City & State:||INDIANAPOLIS IN 46241|
|NPL Status:||Currently on the Final NPL|
|ROD Type:||Record of Decision|
|Operable Unit(s):||04, 05|
|Contaminant:||VOCs, PAHs, benzene, pyridine, pyridine derivatives, ammonia|
Please note that the text in this document summarizes the Record of Decision for the purposes of facilitating searching and retrieving key text on the ROD. It is not the officially approved abstract drafted by the EPA Regional offices. Once EPA Headquarters receives the official abstract, this text will be replaced.
The Reilly Tar and Chemical site is located at 1500 South Tibbs Avenue in the southwest quadrant of Indianapolis, Indiana. Minnesota Street divides the 120-acre site into two parcels. The Oak Park property, occupying approximately 40 acres, is located north of Minnesota Street. The Maywood property occupies approximately 80 acres and is located south of Minnesota Street. The Oak Park property contains the majority of Reilly's operating facilities, including above ground storage tanks, distillation towers, and above and below ground utilities. The Oak Park property also contains one area formerly used for disposal of hazardous wastes. This area is the Lime Pond, a surface impoundment that received hazardous wastes. Drums containing hazardous wastes were also buried in the soils adjacent to the Lime Pond. The Maywood property contains operating facilities on its northern end. This property was formerly the site of chemical process and wood preserving activities and currently contains four other areas used in the past for hazardous waste disposal. These four former hazardous waste disposal areas include the Abandoned Railway Trench, the Former Sludge Treatment Pit, the Former Drainage Ditch, and the South Landfill/Fire Pond. The majority of the operating facility buildings are located north of Minnesota Street; approximately 75% of the Oak Park property is covered by buildings, pavement, and above-ground storage tanks. The remainder is primarily unpaved and vegetated.
The Reilly Tar site is surrounded by a mix of residential, industrial, and commercial properties. Residential neighborhoods are located immediately adjacent to the eastern boundary (on the east side of Tibbs Avenue) of the Oak Park property. Two residences are also located next to the northern property boundary near the Lime Pond in the northwest corner of the site. Commercial and industrial properties are located south and west of the site.
Industrial development of the Reilly site began in 1921 with a coal tar refinery and a creosote wood treatment operation on the Maywood Property. On-site wood treatment operations occurred from 1921 until 1972. Beginning in 1941, several chemical plants were constructed and operated on the Oak Park property. Environmental problems at the site are related to the management and disposal of creosoteing process wastes and to wastes associated with and substances used in the process of manufacturing custom synthesized specialty chemicals.
The earliest recorded complaint about odors and disposal practices at the site was in 1955, which referenced the fact that a chemical manufactured at Reilly had been found in nearby residential wells. In 1964, three contaminants from Reilly were detected in off-site groundwater samples and on-site surface water samples. In 1975, state investigations revealed several on-site problems which were believed to have been contributing to groundwater contamination with organic chemicals. In 1980, an on-site soil sample collected by state personnel was found to contain various organic chemicals including toluene and trichloroethylene. In 1987, 60,000 gallons of waste fuel, containing primarily pyridine and pyridine derivatives, benzene, xylene, and toluene, were accidentally spilled on the Oak Park property. Some, but not all, of the contaminated soil was excavated by Reilly.
A perimeter groundwater extraction system has been in place since 1994, containing contaminated groundwater at the site boundary. The sludge accumulation at the South Landfill portion of Operable Unit (OU) 2 has been solidified and a soil cover has been placed over the area. The thermal desorption of the four remaining areas addresses under OU 2 were to commence in 1997.
The major components for OU 3 include: placement of a soil cover over those portions of the kickback area that are not currently covered with gravel; future land use in the kickback area limited to industrial uses by deed restrictions; and groundwater and source area monitoring to ensure that the goals of this action are met.
The major components for OU 4 are as follows: construction of an asphalt or concrete cover over hot spot area C, the Tank 66 area; soil vapor extraction at hot spot areas A and B to remove organic contamination from the soils; treatment of condensate generated from the soil vapor extraction in Reilly's on-site wastewater treatment plant; an institutional control to maintain gravel covers in hot spot areas A and B following treatment, which may be added to Reilly's operating permit; future land use restrictions to limit development as industrial; and groundwater and source area monitoring to ensure that the goals of this action are met.
View full-text ROD [
To download a full-text ROD, right click on the above link and select Save Link As. A full-text ROD is in PDF format. Please note that download time may be extended given the size of the full-text document. File size is noted in kilobytes (K) or megabytes (M) next to the download link.
Return to Search Results