Record of Decision System (RODS)
NATIONAL PRESTO INDUSTRIES, INC.
|Site Name:||NATIONAL PRESTO INDUSTRIES, INC.|
|Address:||3925 N HASTINGS WAY|
|City & State:||EAU CLAIRE WI 54701|
|NPL Status:||Currently on the Final NPL|
|ROD Type:||Record of Decision|
|Media:||soil, groundwater, surface water|
|Contaminant:||VOCs, TCA, TCE, PCE, 1,1-dichloroethane, 1,1-dichloroethylene, 1,2-dichloroethylene, SVOCs|
Please note that the text in this document summarizes the Record of Decision for the purposes of facilitating searching and retrieving key text on the ROD. It is not the officially approved abstract drafted by the EPA Regional offices. Once EPA Headquarters receives the official abstract, this text will be replaced.
The National Presto Industries, Inc. (NPI) site occupies approximately 320 acres and is located in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. The site lies within the City of Eau Claire, with the exception of approximately 9 acres in the extreme eastern part of the property, which are located in Hallie, and approximately 4 acres in the extreme southern part of the property, which are located in Seymour.
The area in the immediate vicinity is comprised of light industrial and commercial development. The site itself includes the main building, a number of smaller buildings, and four lagoons. A 6-foot chain link fence surrounds the western third of the site, including the main building and Lagoon 1. The remaining areas of the site are surrounded by a 4-foot wire fence. A security alarm system is currently in place to restrict access.
The property was originally owned by farmers and used for agricultural uses. The government then acquired the property and contractors manufactured radar tubes and ordnance chemicals until 1945. In 1947, NPI purchased the property and initially manufactured household appliances and outboard motors at the facility, then added defense-related products in 1951. By 1954, NPI had dedicated the site entirely to defense-related manufacturing.
There was little activity at the site between 1959 and 1965. In 1966, the site was reactivated and multi-shift production continued until the mid-1970s. From 1981 to 1993, National Defense Corporation (NDC) entered into annual standby contracts to maintain the site in a high state of readiness. These contracts provided for the storage and maintenance of the government-owned machinery and equipment. These contracts were terminated in October 1993 and most of the equipment has since been disassembled and sold.
The most environmentally significant waste stream generated from NPI's defense-related activities was waste forge compound. In its pure form, forge compound comprised approximately equal parts of graphite, asphalt, and mineral oil. NPI used this mixture as a lubricant in the forging operation of the production of 105MM shells. Waste forge compound contains metals and volatile organic compounds (VOCs), primarily 1,1,1-trichloroethane (TCA), a solvent used for cleaning the forge compound from the manufacturing equipment. The waste water discharged by NPI to Lagoon No. 1 contained significant amounts of waste forge compound. Additionally, between 1966 and 1970, NPI landfilled waste forge compounds in an area northeast of the main plant, known as the Melby Road Disposal site. Finally, waste forge compound has also been discovered in an area near the east property line of the site, known as the East Disposal site. Lagoon No. 1 and the Melby Road Disposal site are considered the most significant sources of the TCA groundwater contamination. Wastes located at the East Disposal site are the source of the trichloroethene (TCE) groundwater contamination in Plume 5.
The selected remedy at the Melby Road and East Disposal sites includes: installation of a soil vapor extraction (SVE) system at Melby Road; removal of concentrated wastes identified by SVE; excavation and consolidation of East Disposal site wastes with Melby Road wastes; and installation of a multi-layer cap, compliant with Wisconsin Administrative Code Chapter NR 660, over combined wastes at the Melby Road Disposal site.
The selected remedy at Drainage Ditch 3 is removal of contaminated soils and consolidation with wastes at the Melby Road Disposal Site.
The selected remedy at Dry Wells 2 and 5 is the removal of contaminated soils and disposal in an off-site landfill.
The selected remedy at Plumes 1-2 includes: continued operation of the two-column air stripper at the leading edge of the groundwater contaminant plume; continued operation of an on-site pump and treat system to prevent the off-site migration of contaminated groundwater; and long-term groundwater monitoring.
At Plumes 3 and 4, remedial action includes: continued operation of an on-site pump and treat system to prevent the off-site migration of contaminated groundwater; long-term groundwater monitoring; and surface water sampling in Lake Hallie.
The selected remedy at Plume 5 includes long-term groundwater monitoring and surface water sampling in Lake Hallie.
View full-text ROD [
To download a full-text ROD, right click on the above link and select Save Link As. A full-text ROD is in PDF format. Please note that download time may be extended given the size of the full-text document. File size is noted in kilobytes (K) or megabytes (M) next to the download link.
Return to Search Results