DAVENPORT AND FLAGSTAFF SMELTERS
On this page:
On related pages:
The Davenport and Flagstaff Smelters site is located about 15 miles southeast of Salt Lake City, Utah, in a mostly residential and commercial area at the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon.
The Davenport and Flagstaff Smelters were constructed around 1870 at the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon. Both of the smelters processed lead and silver ore removed from mines near Alta, Utah. Historical operations contaminated soil with metals. Operators decommissioned and dismantled both smelters by 1879. Subsequently, site use was mostly agricultural until the 1970s and 1980s when a restaurant and a residential community began to develop. Following cleanup, operation and maintenance activities are ongoing.
What Has Been Done to Clean Up the Site?
The site is being addressed through federal, state and potentially responsible party (PRP) actions.
EPA has conducted five-year reviews at the site. These reviews ensure that the remedies put in place protect public health and the environment, and function as intended by site decision documents. The most recent review concluded that response actions at the site are in accordance with the remedy selected by EPA and that the remedy continues to be protective of human health and the environment.
EPA placed the site on the Superfund program’s National Priorities List (NPL) in April 2003. With the completion of all response actions, the site was deleted from the NPL on July 27, 2018.
What Is the Current Site Status?
The site consists of three areas, referred to by EPA as operable units (OUs). OU1 addresses residential properties with lead and arsenic contamination in surface and subsurface soils. OU2 covers about 29 acres and consists of a mixture of commercial and undeveloped land. OU3 addresses agricultural land proposed for future residential use near the Flagstaff Smelter.
OU1: The long-term remedy, selected in 2002, included excavation and off-site disposal of all material above the cleanup levels, with treatment for all contaminated soils that were principal threat wastes. The remedy also included institutional controls. The OU1 cleanup began in 2004 and finished in 2008. Contaminated soils were removed and landscapes restored at 26 properties. About 33,000 cubic yards of lead- and arsenic-impacted soils were removed and taken off site for disposal.
OU2: The long-term remedy, selected in 2009, included excavation, on-site treatment of principal threat waste, off-site disposal of material above cleanup levels, site restoration and institutional controls. Cleanup began in August 2011 and finished in December 2011. About 7,100 tons of contaminated soil were excavated and disposed of off site. About 6,600 tons of that soil were treated on site prior to disposal.
OU3: The long-term remedy, selected in 2005 as a modification to the OU1 remedy, included excavation and treatment of contaminated soil on 49 acres of undeveloped property and institutional controls. A private entity cleaned up OU3 in 2006 with EPA and state oversight. About 77,000 tons of contaminated soil were excavated, treated and disposed of off site.
The site reached the Superfund milestone “construction complete” in August 2012.