CARPENTER SNOW CREEK MINING DISTRICT
Stay Updated, Get Involved
On this page:
Announcements and Key Topics
The site consists of three areas, referred to by EPA as operable units (OUs) and defined in Site Status. Cleanup at this site uses two approaches:
- Removal actions are used to expedite cleanup of the most immediate threats to human health and the environment. The cleanup approach using removal authority is documented in Action Memoranda:
- Action Memorandum: Time-Critical Removal Action at the Carpenter Snow Creek Site (PDF) (25 pp, 1.5 MB, About PDF)
- Action Memorandum: Request for approval of Time-Critical Removal Action and Exemption from the 12 month statutory limits (PDF) (17 pp, 2.8 MB, About PDF)
- Action Memorandum: Amendment regarding request for Ceiling Increase and Change in Scope (PDF) (47 pp, 97 MB, About PDF)
- A longer term remedial program is being implemented to assist in determining the nature and extent of contamination and selecting cleanup alternatives.
- For OU1, a Record of Decision (PDF) (274 pp, 39.5 MB, About PDF) was issued in 2009.
- For OU2, a remedial investigation (RI) is ongoing that will determine the nature and extent of contamination. A final OU2 RI report is expected in 2017.
- For OU3, draft reports for a site-wide RI and a feasibility study are currently being evaluated and final drafts of both reports are expected in the spring 2018.