PETERS CARTRIDGE FACTORY
KINGS MILLS, OH
On this page:
- What Has Been Done to Clean Up the Site?
- What Is the Current Site Status?
- Activity and Use Limitations
- Enforcement Information
On related pages:
Peters Cartridge Factory is located along the south bank of the Little Miami River in Kings Mills. The Peters Cartridge Factory produced ordnance and shot shell ammunition at the site from 1887 to 1934. The Remington Arms Co. purchased Peters Cartridge in 1934 and continued the production of shot shell and cartridge ammunition at the facility until 1944. The site was subsequently divided into multiple land parcels that have been owned and occupied by various non-ammunition entities. The FPA is the production portion of the site where most of the manufacturing took place. The FPA is comprised of three parcels of developed land that total 14.29 acres.
Ohio EPA conducted several screening investigations and evaluations at the Peters Cartridge site between 1994 and 1999 and concluded the site was affected by copper, lead and mercury. U.S. EPA proposed the Peters Cartridge site to the NPL in 2003 and selected a cleanup remedy in a document called a record of decision, or ROD, in 2009. The site was placed on the NPL in 2012. After a subsequent site investigation, another document called explanation of significant differences modified the ROD in 2015. The cleanup activities at the site started in March 2015 and were completed in June 2017.
What Has Been Done to Clean Up the Site?
The site is being addressed through federal, state and potentially responsible party (PRP) actions.
What Is the Current Site Status?
In September 2018 a portion of the site known as the Former Process Area was removed from the NPL after cleanup goals were met, reducing the approximate size of the site from 71 acres to 56 acres.
The remaining portion of the Peters Cartridge site is in the Operations & Maintenance phase of the Superfund process. As part of this phase, U.S. EPA is ensuring long-term cleanup technologies are in working order at the site and determining if land restrictions are necessary to minimize the potential for human exposure to contamination.
Activity and Use Limitations
At this site, activity and use limitations that EPA calls institutional controls are in place. Institutional controls play an important role in site remedies because they reduce exposure to contamination by limiting land or resource use. They also guide human behavior. For instance, zoning restrictions prevent land uses – such as residential uses – that are not consistent with the level of cleanup.
For more background, see Institutional Controls.
Lead, Mecury, and Copper
No digital information
The DuPont Company signed an Admistrative Order on Consent with the United States Environmental Protection Agency for Remedial Investigation/Feasibilty Study (RI/FS) on July 7, 2004.