WPSC OSHKOSH MGP
On this page:
On related pages:
The 7.6-acre Wisconsin Public Service Corp. site is located in Oshkosh, Wis. The Upper Fox River borders the site to the south with Lake Winnebago about .2 miles downstream. Since 2003, the site has been owned by the City of Oshkosh and was redeveloped into a public park which includes an amphitheater and river walk. Boat docking is desired along the shoreline to enable boaters to visit the park.
WPSC owned and operated the gas plant from the 1869 to 1946 in an area that was historically industrial. Processes included coal carbonization and carbureted water gas.
What Is Being Done to Clean Up the Site?
The site is being addressed by WPSC/Integrys under state and federal oversight.
What Is the Current Site Status?
Plans for investigation of sediment, ground water and soil at six MGP sites began after a legal agreement called a consent order was signed between WPSC and EPA in May 2006. This agreement allows for further investigation of the Oshkosh site. Investigation planning is underway starting with the "completion report" which summarizes all past cleanup work completed under state programs. It also recommends additional work for areas not yet completed.
Under Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources oversight, various investigations have taken place since the 1990s. In 2002, a cleanup took place which included excavation, thermal treatment and removal of about 23,500 tons of highly contaminated soil and placement of a clean soil cover. Other work included building a barrier wall along the river and a ground water control system to restrict the flow of contaminated ground water.
Since Wisconsin DNR oversaw a soil cleanup in 2002, EPA's studies will focus on ground water and sediment in the nearby Fox River. Until those studies get started, EPA will continue to do routine ground water monitoring.
The 2006 agreement also includes five other MGP sites in Green Bay, Stevens Point, Marinette, Manitowoc and Two Rivers, Wisconsin. A separate agreement for another site, WPSC Campmarina MGP in Sheboygan, was signed between WPSC and EPA in January 2007.