Superfund Information Systems: Site Profile

Superfund Site:

HARRIS (FARLEY STREET)
HOUSTON, TX

Cleanup Activities

On this page:

On related pages:


Background

The 2-acre Harris (Farley Street) site is located in Houston, Harris County, Texas. The site consisted of an abandoned landfill containing tars and sludges. A transporter leased the site in 1958 and disposed of over 550 tons of liquids and sludges from local chemical industries in two trenches. Waste disposal activities contaminated soil with hazardous substances.

Following construction of the site’s remedy, EPA took the site off the Superfund program’s National Priorities List (NPL) in April 1988.

Top of Page


What Has Been Done to Clean Up the Site?

The site was addressed through federal, state and potentially responsible party (PRP) actions.

A transporter leased the site in 1958 and disposed of over 550 tons of liquids and sludges from local chemical industries in two trenches, each 120 by 40 feet. Following complaints, a thin layer of soil was placed over the disposal area in 1959. Subsequent owners discovered the wastes in 1961 during construction of a swimming pool. Wastes also appeared during other construction activities.A transporter leased the site in 1958 and disposed of over 550 tons of liquids and sludges from local chemical industries in two trenches, each 120 by 40 feet. Following complaints, a thin layer of soil was placed over the disposal area in 1959. Subsequent owners discovered the wastes in 1961 during construction of a swimming pool. Wastes also appeared during other construction activities.

Top of Page


What Is the Current Site Status?

The site’s long-term remedy, selected in September 1985, included excavation of contaminated soil with off-site disposal. The remedial action finished in July 1986. Because the action completely removed the contamination source, groundwater monitoring was not required, and no operational or institutional controls were considered necessary to ensure the future integrity of the cleanup.

Following construction of the site’s remedy, EPA took the site off the NPL in April 1988.

Top of Page