Superfund Information Systems: Site Profile

Superfund Site:

LIBERTY INDUSTRIAL FINISHING
FARMINGDALE, NY

Redevelopment

On this page:


About the Superfund Redevelopment Initiative

This nationally coordinated effort provides EPA and its partners with a process to return Superfund sites to productive use. Learn more at Superfund Redevelopment Initiative.

Top of Page


Redevelopment at the Site

The 30-acre Liberty Industrial Finishing Superfund site is located in Oyster Bay, New York. Beginning in the early 1930s, an aircraft parts manufacturer and a metal-finishing facility operated on the site. From 1940 to 1944, facilities at the site converted to manufacture products for World War II. After the war, aircraft parts manufacturing continued through 1957. At that time, the facility began to operate as an industrial park; metal plating and finishing, and fiberglass products manufacturing took place on site. From the 1980s until 2009, the site hosted light manufacturing facilities and warehouses. Industrial activities on site contaminated soil, sediment and groundwater. EPA added the site to the Superfund program’s National Priorities List (NPL) in 1986. Cleanup included removal of underground storage tanks and contaminated soil and sediment and construction of groundwater treatment systems. Parties completed the remedy construction in September 2012. Groundwater treatment systems continue to operate. In July 2001, the Town of Oyster Bay (the Town) sought to use the western portion of the site to expand the neighboring 16-acre Ellsworth Allen community park. In October 2002, EPA entered into an agreement with the Town. It ensured the protectiveness of the site’s remedy and allowed the site’s reuse to move forward. In return for EPA waiving any potential Superfund liability for the local government and releasing Superfund liens on the site property, the Town made a substantial payment to EPA. The resources were to help fund cleanup activities and reimburse the Agency for its costs at the site. In September 2003, the Town acquired the site’s western parcel using its eminent domain authority. In July 2010, the Town took ownership of the 7.5-acre central parcel for the park expansion. Following EPA’s site cleanup and additional soil cleanup by the Town in 2010 and 2011 to meet state standards for residential reuse, the Town held community planning meetings for the Ellsworth Allen Park expansion. Preliminary plans for the park include a community center, ball fields, a multi-purpose sports field and green space. Site stakeholders also redeveloped the eastern portion of the site in 2010, locating a supermarket, bank and parking lot on site.

Top of Page


Economic Activity at the Site

As of December 2019, EPA had data on 4 on-site businesses. These businesses employed 100 people and generated an estimated $22,222,000 in annual sales revenue. View additional information about redevelopment economics at Superfund sites.

Top of Page