HELENA CHEMICAL CO. (TAMPA PLANT)
On this page:
- About the Superfund Redevelopment Initiative
- Redevelopment at the Site
- Economic Activity at the Site
About the Superfund Redevelopment Initiative
This nationally coordinated effort provides EPA and its partners with a process to return Superfund sites to productive use. Learn more at Superfund Redevelopment Initiative.
Redevelopment at the Site
The 8-acre Helena Chemical Co. (Tampa Plant) Superfund site is located in Tampa, Florida. Originally owned by the Flag Sulfur Company, the facility manufactured chemical agricultural products from 1929 to 1967. Helena Chemical Company purchased the company and continued to process and handle chemical agricultural products. EPA investigated the site from 1988 to 1990. Studies found contamination in the soil and groundwater. In 1992, EPA added the site to the Superfund program’s National Priorities List (NPL). The cleanup involved removing chemical storage tanks and treating soils. Groundwater also needed to be cleaned to drinking water levels. Cleanup began in 2000 and is ongoing. The Helena Chemical Company remains on site. The company uses the facility as a distribution center.
Economic Activity at the Site
As of December 2017, EPA had data on one on-site business. This business employed 20 people and generated an estimated $32,066,000 in annual sales revenue. View additional information about redevelopment economics at Superfund sites.