OLD NAVY DUMP/MANCHESTER LABORATORY (USEPA/NOAA)
On this page:
- About the Superfund Redevelopment Initiative
- Redevelopment at the Site
- Economic Activity at the Site
About the Superfund Redevelopment Initiative
This nationally coordinated effort provides EPA and its partners with a process to return Superfund sites to productive use. Learn more at Superfund Redevelopment Initiative.
Redevelopment at the Site
The U.S. Army established ownership of the site in 1898 and then transferred ownership to the U.S. Navy in 1919. Portions of the site extended onto an adjacent state park, a Navy fuel supply depot and the marine tidelands of Clam Bay. Clam Bay has been used primarily for recreational shellfishing and is also home to the bald eagle and chinook salmon, federally threatened species designated under the Endangered Species Act. In the early 1970s, EPA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) acquired portions of the site property. EPA's property encompasses the northern 17.5 acres of the site. The NOAA National Marine Fisheries Service is currently situated on the southern 22.5 acres of the site. The landfill is located within the central 12.5 acres of the site and a small portion of the northwestern corner of the landfill area that extends onto Manchester State Park property.
Economic Activity at the Site
As of December 2017, EPA did not have economic data related to on-site businesses, or economic data were not applicable due to site use. View information about redevelopment economics at Superfund sites.