Superfund Site: YAWORSKI WASTE LAGOON
Superfund Site Profile
Institutional controls are required for this site.
All institutional controls required at this site have been implemented. This site requires ICs because a decision document, such as a Record of Decision, has documented some level of contamination and/or remedy component at the site that would restrict use of the site. These ICs are required to help ensure the site is used in an appropriate way and that activities at the site do not damage the cleanup components. These ICs will remain in place for as long as the contamination and/or cleanup components stay on site. The site contacts should be consulted if there are questions on the ICs for this site.
The Yaworski Waste Lagoon site is located in Canterbury Township, Connecticut. The area is a dewatered and backfilled lagoon, about 800 feet by 300 feet and 12 feet deep. From about 1948 to 1973, drummed material and bulk wastes, including textile dyes, solvents, resins, acids, caustics, still-bottom sludges and solvent-soaked rags, were disposed of in the lagoon. Periodically, flammable liquid waste was burned in several pits in the lagoon area until 1965, when the Connecticut Department of Health ordered a halt to on-site burning of waste. The combined efforts of local residents and state and local officials concerned about adverse human health and environmental effects from disposal operations at the site led to the end of all dumping at the site in 1973. Following cleanup, operation and maintenance activities and monitoring are ongoing.