Superfund Site: DAVISVILLE NAVAL CONSTRUCTION BATTALION CENTER
NORTH KINGSTOWN, RI
Superfund Site Profile
The former Davisville Naval Construction Battalion Center (NCBC), located 18 miles south of Providence in North Kingstown, covers approximately 900 acres. Serving as a military installation since 1942, its primary mission was to provide mobilization support to Naval construction forces. Much of the NCBC-Davisville site is contiguous with Narragansett Bay and consists of four areas, including the Main Center, the West Davisville storage area, Allen Harbor area, and the Pier Support area. Camp Fogarty, a training facility 4 miles west of the Main Center in the Town of East Greenwich was transferred to the Army in 1993, is also part of the listing. Adjoining NCBC's south boundary is the decommissioned Naval Air Station Quonset Point, which was sold to the Rhode Island Port Authority between 1978 and 1980. The Navy disposed of wastes in all areas. The Navy has identified at least 24 areas with potential hazardous contamination, but the Department no longer owns several of them. These areas are being investigated by the Army Corps of Engineers. Chief among the areas are Camp Avenue Landfill and former NIKE Launcher Site. The Navy's studies will focus on twelve areas: the Allen Harbor Landfill (the largest of the areas), which received solvents, paint thinners, degreasers, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) from transformers, sewage sludge, and contaminated fuel oil from 1946 to 1972; the Calf Pasture Point, which received "decontamination agents" and various other contaminants; the Construction Equipment Department (CED) Battery Acid Disposal Area; the CED Solvent Disposal Area; the Transformer Oil Disposal Area (near Building 37); the Solvent Disposal Area; the Defense Property Disposal Office (DPDO) Film Processing Disposal Area (FPD); the Camp Fogarty Disposal Area; the Fire Fighting Training Area; and the Disposal Areas northwest of Buildings W-3, W-4, T-1; the Asphalt Disposal Area; and the Cresote DipTank and Fire Fighting Area. Approximately twenty 5-gallon cans of calcium hypochlorite were disposed of in a drainage ditch at Calf Pasture Point between 1960 and 1971. In 1973, thirty to forty 35-gallon cardboard containers of a chloride compound were stored at the site and deteriorated over time. From 1968 to 1974, approximately 2,500, 3-gallon cans also were disposed of at Calf Pasture Point. The surrounding area is single-family residential. Groundwater is assumed to flow toward Narragansett Bay, which is located 600 feet from the site. Approximately 27,000 people get their drinking water from public wells located within 3 miles of the site.