Superfund Site: STANDARD CHLORINE
Superfund Site Profile
To View the Record of Decision: click here
The Standard Chlorine Chemical Company, Inc. (SCCC) site is an approximately 42-acre area situated between the Belleville Turnpike and the Hackensack River in Kearny, New Jersey. Manufacturing activities from about 1916 to 1993 included the production, storage and packaging of moth balls and flakes, manufacture of lead-acid batteries, formulation of drain cleaners, production of dye carriers, and distillation and purification of chlorinated benzenes. These operations were conducted by various entities including the Thomas A. Edison Emark Battery Corporation and the Standard Naphthalene Products Company, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of SCCC. Fill materials containing chromite ore processing residue were placed on the site and two lagoons were excavated on the eastern portion of the site to contain surface water runoff and other wastes, which ultimately drained to the Hackensack River. A railroad right-of-way, the location of a former rail spur, is west of the former lagoon area. The entire property lies within the 100-year floodplain of the Hackensack River. Fish consumption warnings (particularly crab) and a health advisory have been issued for the Hackensack River.
Releases of hazardous substances to the soil, surface water and groundwater have been documented since at least the early 1980s. The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection was cleaning up the site under its Brownfields program before the site was referred to the EPA in 2001.