Superfund Site: RADIATION TECHNOLOGY, INC.
ROCKAWAY TOWNSHIP, NJ
Superfund Site Profile
Radiation Technology, Inc. (RTI) is a 263-acre site near Lake Denmark in Rockaway Township, New Jersey. RTI improperly stored and disposed of waste drums containing solvents and other organic chemicals on site, contaminating soil, sediment and groundwater with hazardous chemicals. Initial actions have protected human health and the environment. The site’s long-term cleanup is ongoing.
Prior to 1941, Singer Manufacturing Company owned the site property. Reaction Motors, Inc. purchased it in 1941. Around 1947, the company began building facilities to support rocket engine and component testing programs. Reaction Motors, Inc. was acquired by a corporate predecessor to the Olin Corporation in 1953 and thereafter by Thiokol Chemical Corporation (Thiokol) in 1958. In 1964, Reaction Motors was formally combined with Thiokol. It became a separate working division within the company. During the 1990s, Thiokol was renamed Cordant Technologies, Inc. ("Cordant").
In 1972, RTI purchased a 15-acre part of the site (located northwest of Lake Denmark Road). It conducted irradiation activities there until it sold its operation to Sterigenics International in 1996. In 1978, RTI purchased the remaining 248 acres of the site from Thiokol and leased portions of the area to various tenants. In November 1999, RTI filed for bankruptcy. There has been no financially solvent owner of the site since that time. Although RTI was no longer an active owner of the property, various tenants remained in the P-2, South Stand and East Stand areas of the site until 2006, when EPA took control of the site and Rockaway Township evicted the tenants from the property. The vacant property east of Lake Denmark Road was secured to prevent public access. Sterigenics International continues to operate on the RTI portion of the site (west of Lake Denmark Road).
From November 1980 to May 1981, NJDEP and the Rockaway Township Health Department conducted investigations at the site. Following initial actions to protect human health and the environment, and additional investigations, EPA placed the site on the Superfund program’s National Priorities List in September 1984.