LCP CHEMICALS INC.
Superfund Site Profile
LCP Chemicals, Inc., a division of the Hanlin Group, Inc., purchased the 26-acre chlorine production facility in 1972 from GAF Corporation, which owned and operated the facility since 1942. LCP operated the facility from 1972 through 1985, when it ceased operations. Sludge containing mercury from the chlorine production was discharged to lagoons. In 1972, 1974 and 1979, the State of New Jersey documented releases from the brine sludge lagoon into South Branch Creek.
Over the years, portions of the site and buildings were leased to other companies, including Union Carbide, Microcell Technologies and Kuehne Chemical Company. In July 1991, Hanlin Group, ...
Continue reading background »