Superfund Site Profile
The Monroe Township Landfill is located in Middlesex County, New Jersey. The landfill operated on the 86-acre area from 1955 to 1978. Monroe Township was the original owner and operator of the landfill and continues to own the site property. The Township operated the landfill from the mid-1950s until 1968, when it was leased to Princeton Disposal Service for operation under the service contract to Monroe Township. BFI acquired Princeton Disposal Service in 1972 and operated the landfill until 1978. The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) ordered the site’s closure in 1978 when leachate outbreaks seeped onto Lani Street. Based on NJDEP’s documentation, only municipal and household waste was placed in the landfill. Landfill operations contaminated soil and groundwater with hazardous chemicals.