Superfund Site: NIAGARA MOHAWK POWER CORP. (SARATOGA SPRINGS PLANT)
SARATOGA SPRINGS, NY
Superfund Site Profile
The Niagara Mohawk Power Corp. (NMPC) (Saratoga Springs Plant) site is located in Saratoga Springs, New York. The site includes a 7-acre parcel (the NMPC Property), the former skating rink property (a 2.3-acre property formerly owned by the City of Saratoga Springs), and portions of Spring Run Creek. The Saratoga Gas Light Company, a predecessor company of Niagara Mohawk, used the NMPC property for coal gas manufacturing. Various other companies then used the property from 1853 until the late 1940s. Byproduct materials containing hazardous substances were disposed of at various locations at the NMPC property. The property's subsurface contains coal tar waste deposits from these operations. Niagara Mohawk operated the site from 1950 to 1999 as a district service center and headquarters for its electric line, natural gas, vehicle and equipment repair, maintenance, storage facilities, and tree trimming crews servicing the Saratoga District. The site’s long-term cleanup and monitoring are ongoing.