Superfund Site: CURTIS SPECIALTY PAPERS, INC, MILFORD, NJ
Superfund Site Profile
The Curtis Specialty Papers, Inc. site is located adjacent to the Delaware River in the Borough of Milford and Alexandria Township, Hunterdon County, New Jersey. The 86-acre site is the location of a former paper mill, which operated from 1907 to 2003. The Curtis mill included a main mill building area, a coatings facility area, a coal pile and aeration basin area, and a wastewater treatment plant area. The main mill, known as the Milford Mill, was used to convert paper pulp to finished food grade paper. From 1907 to 1971, the Milford Mill was operated by the Riegel Paper Corporation. It was purchased by Riegel Paper Corporation in 1972, which later became part of the James River Paper Company, Inc. The coatings facility operated from approximately 1935 to 1988 and; in these buildings, solvent-based resins were compounded and coated onto paper and other products. In 1995, the mill was bought by Crown Vantage, which operated it until 2001. In 2001, the mill was bought and operated by Curtis Papers, Inc. During the time the mill was in operation, the facility reported several spills on the property. The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) issued several notices of violation to the facility. The notices of violation included unpermitted discharges and improper containers, training, and recordkeeping. In July 2003, the mill was shut down and, in November 2004, Curtis Paper, Inc. declared bankruptcy. Quequacommissacong Creek, also known as Hakihokake Creek and Milford Creek, is adjacent to the site near the former coatings facility. The area surrounding the site is largely residential, with the nearest residences approximately 0.1 mile to the north and southeast.
TOPICS IN FOCUS