Superfund Site: RIVERSIDE INDUSTRIAL PARK, NEWARK, NJ
Superfund Site Profile
The Riverside Industrial Park site includes both current and former manufacturing and packaging facilities, some of which are vacant, at 29 Riverside Avenue in Newark, New Jersey. The 7-acre site is located in a mixed residential and commercial/heavy industrial area. From 1902 to 1971, the property was used for paint and varnish manufacturing by Patton Paint Company, which merged into the Paint and Varnish Division of Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company in 1920. Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company changed its name to PPG Industries, Inc. (PPG) in 1968. From the 1970s to the present day, the property has been used by various companies for a variety of businesses from chemical packaging to chemical and cosmetics manufacturing. Although this is currently an active industrial park, there are several abandoned portions of the property which are owned by the City of Newark through foreclosures.
Investigations into a 2009 spill of oily material into the Passaic River revealed multiple potentially immediate threats to human health and the environment from improper waste storage. Samples of waste, soil and groundwater at the site contained volatile organic compounds (VOCs), semi-volatile organic compounds (SVOCs), metals and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs). The site was listed on the Superfund National Priorities List in May 2013. Cleanup activities to date include immediate actions to stop the river discharge, secure the source and eliminate the immediate threats. Additional investigations and planning for the site’s long-term cleanup are ongoing.