Superfund Site Profile
The Spectron, Inc. Superfund Site is located on approximately 8 acres near Elkton, Maryland, in a rural residential area. The Site was operated as a paper mill until it was destroyed by fire in 1954. The mill buildings, except for the former powerhouse, were subsequently razed. Solvent recycling operations occupied the Site from 1962 to 1988.
The recycling facilities, constructed on the fill material, reportedly handled more than 1 million gallons of liquids per year during its operation. The liquid materials processed at the facility included volatile organic compounds (VOCs) such as chlorofluorocarbons, halogenated ethenes and ethanes, and chlorobenzenes (denser than water) and various alkanes and aromatic hydrocarbons (less dense than water).
Many of these compounds are not very soluble in water and tend to remain as non-aqueous phase liquids (NAPLs) when released to the environment. Both light and dense NAPLs (LNAPLs and DNAPLs, respectively) were released while the solvent recycling operation was active, resulting in contaminated soil, overburden groundwater, bedrock groundwater, and DNAPL seeps along the western bank of Little Elk Creek.
The State of Maryland designated the creek as a potential drinking water source and a stream targeted for protection and the maintenance of its aquatic life. Approximately 5,200 people obtain their drinking water from private wells within four miles of the Site with the nearest private wells within several hundred feet.