JACKSON TOWNSHIP, PA
Superfund Site Profile
The Whitmoyer Laboratories site, located in Lebanon County, Pennsylvania, occupies 22 acres in a rapidly developing rural residential area. The company manufactured veterinary pharmaceuticals between 1934 and 1984. Arsenic compounds were produced and stored at the site. The site itself featured 17 buildings, 23 storage tanks, a concrete storage vault, 15 lagoons, a waste pit, a petroleum products pipeline and pump station, plus a railroad spur.
The laboratory changed ownership from Whitmoyer to Rohm & Haas in 1964, to Smith-Kline Beecham in 1978, and to Stafford Laboratories in 1982. In 1964, Rohm & Haas detected arsenic pollution in the soils, groundwater, ...
Continue reading background »