Superfund Site: RAYMARK
Superfund Site Profile
- EPA is currently investigating the potential for vapor intrusion (VI) of Raymark Superfund Site site-related contaminants. Vapor intrusion is when chemicals or petroleum products are spilled on the ground or leak from underground storage tanks, and they give off vapors that can seep inside buildings or homes potentially affecting human health and the environment.
- The operation of the groundwater treatment system is ongoing. This is expected to continue until groundwater meets drinking water standards.
- To date, EPA estimates 525 million gallons of TCE and PCE contaminated groundwater have been treated. For more information about TCE and PCE see Contaminants and Risks section below.
The Raymark Superfund Site (Site) is a 7-acre operating facility located at 220 Jacksonville Road in Hatboro, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. The Site is located on relatively flat ground and consists of a manufacturing building which contains office space and a wastewater treatment building. The manufacturing building was historically used to treat electroplating wastes. A metal cleaning/degreasing operation was located in the rear section of the manufacturing building and a solvent storage tank was located immediately outside this area. A septic tank was located near the wastewater treatment building.
Metal fabrication operations, including rivet manufacturing and electroplating, began at the Site in 1948. Solvents containing trichloroethene (TCE) were used in the manufacturing process to clean and degrease metal parts. TCE is considered a volatile organic compound, or VOC. VOCs have the ability to turn into vapors and gases, potentially affecting human health and the environment due to its toxicity. Over several decades of manufacturing, TCE leaked and spilled in areas where it was used and stored. These areas included storage tanks and four small, unlined wastewater lagoons that were located at the rear of the property. The lagoons were excavated and backfilled in 1972. TCE has not been used at the Site since 1980.