Superfund Site: RESIN DISPOSAL
JEFFERSON BOROUGH, PA
Superfund Site Profile
The Resin Disposal Site is located approximately 0.5 miles from the Monongahela River, in Jefferson Hills Borough, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. Approximately 50 people live within a half-mile of the Site.
The Site includes a capped, former industrial waste landfill that was used between 1950 and 1964 for disposal of resin manufacturing waste. The approximate two-acre landfill is within a 30-acre parcel of land. Historic disposal activities at the Site resulted in contaminated soils, groundwater, surface water and sediment.
The former landfill received about 85,000 tons of industrial waste from 1949 to 1964. At that time, the landfill was owned and operated by the Pennsylvania Industrial Chemical Company (PICCO). The wastes included organic solvents, resin cakes, filter materials and oils from a resin manufacturing process. The landfill is located in a strip mine valley and was created by constructing an earthen dike across the floor of the valley. Over time, perched groundwater within the landfill migrated to the southeast through the landfill dike, into down-gradient soils, and to the southwest within the mine voids of the adjacent Pittsburgh Coal formation.
Hercules, Inc., a subsidiary of Ashland, Inc., purchased the property from PICCO in 1973. Hercules, Inc., the Site’s Potentially-Responsible Party (PRP), initiated site investigation activities after the discovery of contamination at the landfill in 1979.
Site investigations conducted by the PRP between 1980 and 1984, found contaminated groundwater migrating beyond the landfill.
Currently, EPA and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania oversee the PRP’s long-term cleanup activities.