Superfund Site: LORD-SHOPE LANDFILL
GIRARD TOWNSHIP, PA
Superfund Site Profile
The Lord Shope Landfill, located in Erie County, Pennsylvania had approximately four million cubic feet of waste disposed on the privately owned five-acre site between 1959 and 1979. Wastes deposited on the landfill consisted principally of solid debris, and included rubber scrap, organic and inorganic chemicals, solvents, cooling oils, acids, and caustic agents. Land use in the immediate vicinity includes field crop agriculture, a golf course, orchards, vineyards, and wooded areas. The nearest residences are situated several hundred feet from the site. Approximately 125 people reside within one mile of the site, and about 5,700 people live within three miles of the contamination area. Elk Creek, into which the site runoff discharges, has a water intake located approximately 4,800 feet downstream of the contamination area. The water from this intake is used to irrigate food crops. This site was proposed to the National Priority List (NPL) on December 30, 1982 and formally added to the list September 8, 1983.