Superfund Site Profile
UGI Columbia Gas Plant is a 1.5-acre site located in a light industrial/residential area 400 feet northeast of the Susquehanna River in southern Pennsylvania. From 1851 to 1949, Columbia Gas used the site for gas manufacturing. In 1932, ownership of the property was transferred to Pennsylvania Power and Light (PP&L) and subsequently transferred to Lancaster County Gas Company in 1949. Lancaster County Gas merged with UGI Corporation which owned the site until 1979. The property was used as a boat dealership from 1979 until 1994 when it was repurchased by PP&L. During the years of active gas manufacturing operations at the site, overflows from an on-site tar separator were directed to an open ditch that led to the Susquehanna River. Records show that local fishermen complained to the gas plant that their boats were being covered with tar. The site was added to EPA's National Priorities List on May 31, 1994.
TOPICS IN FOCUS
Five-Year Reviews generally are required by the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) or program policy when hazardous substances remain on site above levels which permit unrestricted use and unlimited exposure. Five-year reviews provide an opportunity to evaluate the implementation and performance of a remedy to determine whether it remains protective of human health and the environment.
EPA is performing the first Five-Year Review of the remedy’s protectiveness. The review will be finalized by May 2016.