Superfund Site: WADE (ABM), CHESTER, PA
Superfund Site Profile
The three-acre Wade site is located immediately north of the Commodore Barry Bridge in Chester, Delaware County, Pennsylvania. A rubber recycling facility operated at the site from 1950 until the early 1970s, and then an illegal industrial waste storage and disposal facility operated on site until 1978. Workers stored drums on site, or dumped their contents either directly onto the ground or into trenches. In 1978, a fire destroyed one building and caused extensive damage to two others used for stockpiling drummed wastes. Burned building debris, exploded drums, tires, shredded rubber and contaminated soil littered the property. Waste disposal activities and the subsequent fire had contaminated soil and groundwater. Following cleanup, EPA took the site off the Superfund program’s National Priorities List (NPL) in 1989. Monitoring is ongoing.