Superfund Site: LETTERKENNY ARMY DEPOT (PDO AREA)
FRANKLIN COUNTY, PA
Superfund Site Profile
The Letterkenny Army Depot (PDO Area) site is located five miles north of Chambersburg in Franklin County, Pennsylvania. The U.S. Army established the 19,243-acre facility in 1942 for ammunition storage. In 1947, facility activities expanded to include the testing, maintenance and overhaul of vehicles and missiles; the storage and transportation of industrial chemicals and petroleum; and storage, maintenance, demilitarization and modification of ammunition. There are two Superfund program National Priorities List (NPL) sites associated with the Letterkenny Army Depot: the Property Disposal Office (PDO) site and the Southeast (SE) Area site. This narrative addresses the PDO Area site. The PDO Area includes areas associated with the storage and disposal of industrial chemicals and petroleum. Historical operations contaminated soil, groundwater, sediment and surface water with hazardous chemicals. Cleanups are complete at some sites within the PDO Area. Operation and maintenance activities at these sites are ongoing. Investigations and remedy selection activities are ongoing at remaining sites.