Superfund Site: LETTERKENNY ARMY DEPOT (SE AREA)
Superfund Site Profile
The Letterkenny Army Depot (SE Area) site is located five miles north of Chambersburg in Franklin County, Pennsylvania. The U.S. Army established the 19,243-acre facility in 1942 for ammunition storage. Since 1947, activities at the Letterkenny Army Depot expanded to include the testing, maintenance and overhaul of vehicles and missiles; the storage and transportation of industrial chemicals and petroleum; and storage, maintenance, demilitarization and modification of ammunition. There are two Superfund program National Priority List (NPL) sites associated with the Letterkenny Army Depot: the Property Disposal Office (PDO) site and the Southeast (SE) Area site. This narrative addresses the SE Area site.
The Letterkenny Army Depot SE Area site includes areas associated with the overhauling, rebuilding and testing of vehicles, as well as warehousing operations. Historical operations contaminated soil, groundwater, sediment and surface water with hazardous chemicals. Cleanups are complete at some sites within the SE Area. Operation and maintenance activities at these sites are ongoing. Investigations and remedy selection activities are ongoing at the remaining sites.