Superfund Site: ST. JULIENS CREEK ANNEX (U.S. NAVY)
Superfund Site Profile
The St. Juliens Creek Annex (U.S. Navy) is located in southeastern Virginia at the confluence of St. Julien's Creek and the Southern Branch of the Elizabeth River in the city of Chesapeake. The northern boundary of the annex is the boundary between the cities of Portsmouth and Chesapeake, Virginia. The Elizabeth River and St. Juliens Creek form the eastern and southern boundaries, respectively, of the annex. Also to the north are residential developments and a road bed of the Norfolk and Western Railroad, and to the south lie sewage disposal and industrial waste ponds and residential developments. A residential section of Chesapeake City abuts the annex on the west. Norfolk Naval Shipyard is located less than one mile to the north. St. Juliens Creek Annex occupies approximately 490 acres, including 407 acres of land, 14 acres of marsh, and 69 acres of surface water.
The St. Juliens Creek Annex began operations in 1849 as an ordnance and material storage facility. In 1898, the facility was equipped for assembling ammunition. From 1898 to 1970, the facility was used to supply ammunition to the fleet in addition to loading, assembling, issuing, and receiving naval gun ammunition, and conducting experimental and test loading for new ammunition.
In 1969, St. Juliens Creek was disestablished under U.S. Department of Defense and was consolidated as an annex to the Naval Weapons Station, Yorktown, Virginia. Ordnance operations at the facility were terminated in the 1970s.
In 1977, the annex was transferred to the Norfolk Naval Shipyard. In 1995, it was transferred to Naval Base, Norfolk, and then it was transferred to Naval Station, Norfolk, in 1996. St. Julien's Creek Annex currently provides administrative offices, light industrial shops, and storage facilities for tenant naval commands. Its primary mission is to provide a radar testing range (35 acres) and various administrative and warehousing structures.
This site was proposed as an NPL site on February 4, 2000. The site was formally added to the list in the July 27, 2000, making it eligible for federal cleanup funds.