Superfund Site Profile
The Central Chemical Superfund site is located on 19 acres in the community of Hagerstown, Maryland in Washington County. An electrical substation owned by the City of Hagerstown is located in the northeast corner of the property. A new subdivision is located to the northeast of the site near the substation. From the early 1930's until the mid-1980's, the chemical plant at the site functioned as a blender of agricultural pesticides and fertilizers. Raw pesticides manufactured at other locations were blended with inert materials to produce commercial-grade products using air and hammer mills and wetting agents. Production ended in the 1980's and the old buildings were demolished during the Spring/Summer of 2005. Waste materials from the manufacturing processes, including waste generated during the cleaning of the processing equipment, were disposed in an on-site depression. The site was added to the EPA's National Priorities List in September 1997
Contaminants found in site soil, groundwater, surface water, and/or sediment, as well as in the tissue of fish caught downstream of the Site, include arsenic, lead, benzene, aldrin, chlordane, DDD, DDE, DDT, dieldrin, and methoxychlor.