Superfund Site Profile
The Millsboro TCE Site is located approximately between S. DuPont Highway and State Street in the town of Millsboro, Sussex County, Delaware. The Site is approximately 1500 feet long and 300 feet wide. It consists of a source area at the intersection of Wharton Street and S. DuPont Highway, which was formerly a poultry vaccine manufacturing operation. Also included are a recovery area, located at Town of Millsboro’s Wellfield on West Church Street, and the impacted groundwater under the properties in between.
In 1952, Delaware Poultry Laboratories, Inc. was established and poultry vaccine manufacturing operations began on the source area property. Through a series of ownership transfers, the facility was ultimately owned and operated by Shering Plough who demolished the building in December 2000, and sold the property to the current owner, Hiram Dennis Lasher in June 2001. In October 2005 the state water authority detected trichloroethylene (TCE) at a concentration that exceeded the national drinking water standard while conducting a routine water sampling at the Boys & Girls Club located in Dagsboro, Delaware. The site was proposed to EPA's National Priorities List in 2009.