Superfund Site: BEULAH LANDFILL
Superfund Site Profile
If you need documents that are not yet 508 compliant, please contact the National 508 Coordinator, Dorothy Semazzi, at Semazzi.Dorothy@epa.gov.
The Beulah Landfill site is about 101-acres and is located about 10 miles northwest of downtown Pensacola, Florida. Escambia County operated the landfill from 1950 to 1984. Prior to the landfill’s closure in 1999, operators ran the site’s northern and southern sections independently. The northern landfill, used from 1950 to 1960, accepted mostly municipal trash. The southern sludge disposal pits began receiving domestic septic tank wastes in 1968 and continued to accept municipal trash, industrial waste, demolition debris and municipal sludges until 1984, when the state ordered a halt to operations at the pits. In 1990, EPA listed the site on the NPL. The County capped and closed the landfill under the State Landfill closure program. In 1998, EPA deleted the site from the NPL. Contaminants of concern in the landfill and the ground water include pentachlorophenol, polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons, pesticides, and metals, including aluminum, chromium, iron, lead, nickel and zinc. The FDEP is managing the site under the State Landfill Closure Program. The EPA conducts Five Year Reviews. Escambia County is responsible for maintaining the vegetation and landfill cover and for preventing erosion.